• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hock bandaging UPDATE: Qu's FAO Jack's Jane

racheld69

Mama Doe
:wave: Following on the sore hock thread I bought some pet bandage from ebay and bandaged Barney's hock's yesterday (just round and rund a few times or so). He has been pulling them and nibbling them non stop. Anyway when I got home today his toes were like balloons - the bandages were so tight! So I had to cut them off - poor thing. Anyway, any advice on how to prevent this? Loose bandages don't work coz he pulled those off in 2 minutes last night. And snug ones he seems to work tighter til his toes are about to pop! Any advice please!

Last edited:
Did you wrap them around the back of his leg too? My boys get them off in minutes if I just wrap them round the foot but it takes them a couple of days if I take the bandage round the leg as well.

You really need to make a dressing that resembles a corn plaster. Just bandaging the hock wont take the *pressure* off the sore area.
I use 3 x oval cosmetic cottonwool pads. I cut a hole in them to expose the sore area when the thick pad is put on the hock. So non-sore area is padded which raises sore area off the ground ( Eeeep I hope this is making sense :? )
I use micropore tape to hold the cottonwool pad in place then I use the cohesive bandage to hold the 'pad' in place. To doubley secure the bandage I use a bit of elastoplast.

Basically, the dressing needs to keep direct pressure *off* the sore area. So try to think in terms of a large cornplaster

Janex

That sounds a great way to do it. Totally makes sense cutting the hole in it! Have discovered mallow is starting to get sore bits on both hocks so will get to work on that. Do you have to give them a rest from the bandaging? Or is it ok to keep putting them on? and should they be changed every couple days? Or just when you think they need it?

Try Vetwrap, it sticks to itself which saves on loads of messy tape. I have used it on my horses and dog with great success.

Hi Jane:wave:

is this the flamazine cream? is this expensive for 50g of it (at 1%)?

http://www.drugs4pets.co.uk/product....source=froogle

Also Minimallow has asked you a couple of Qu's above.

:D :D :D :D

I cant open the link :?

Flamazine is prescription only so you would need a script from a Vet if you do buy it online

I dont just bandage sore hocks as that does not take the pressure off the sore area.
You need to first apply some thickish padding, I use 3-4 oval cosmetic cottonwool pads. I cut a hole in the pads to *expose* the sore area. This means the sore area is not going to be in direct contact with the ground *or* the bandage. Rather like with a human cornplaster. The plaster goes around the corn, leaving the corn exposed thus relieving the pressure on it.
I use micropore tape to secure the pad in place then apply the cohesive bandage. Its important not to apply the bandage too tight as it will restrict blood circulation causing oedema (swelling) and prevent wound healing.

Here are details of the Flamazine Cream

http://wound.smith-nephew.com/UK/Standard.asp?NodeId=2744

Janex

I had an accident with that vet wrap before christmas which nearly ended up with me rushing fudge to the emergancy vet on christmas day so be carefull not to do it too tight!

I would never use it again!

In the end his sore hocks got better just being left open with a bit of sudocream applied.

I had an accident with that vet wrap before christmas which nearly ended up with me rushing fudge to the emergancy vet on christmas day so be carefull not to do it too tight!

I would never use it again!

In the end his sore hocks got better just being left open with a bit of sudocream applied.

I had that problem this week - the first time i bandaged his feet - his toe area swelled up like a balloon and it took a good few hours to go down once i had cut them off - I am a bit nervous to do it again now!:shock:

Back