• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worming - panacur paste

cheekytikki

Wise Old Thumper
how neccasery is worming? i cant remeber when mine were done although i know it was when the bunny MOT thing was done so whenevr that was :? anyway i ask because i have got a whole syringe of panacur paste which i was given on a rabbit evening our vets had it is good until 11/2009 should i keep it and worm them around the same time they were done next year, do they need to be done again for winter (they are house buns if that makes a difference)

if they dont need doing are there any rescues who could use a single tube of panacur wormer??? :?

someone told me that vet told them that it was good for killin cocoodsisi (sorry spelling)
I said need to double check as i never hear that they do kill it??

Its no good for killing coccidiosis...that requires a drug from the sulphar family.

Rabbits should be wormed annually, at times of high risk and whenever another rabbit is introduced to the family/boarding etc.

ok so hang on to it and worm them again then :) thanks guys....anyone remember when the bunny MOT's were ?:?

They were in January during national rabbit week. It is now recommended you worm them at least twice a year. There is a good article in this months rabbiting on mag, remind me next time I see you and I will photocopy it for you if you like ;)

They were in January during national rabbit week. It is now recommended you worm them at least twice a year. There is a good article in this months rabbiting on mag, remind me next time I see you and I will photocopy it for you if you like ;)

ah ok thanks :D so i could worm them now then :)

p.s. when do you need the crackers by? :D

My two were successfully treated for active EC this year - Rolo is looking stunning now after the treatment.

So I plan on doing smaller 9 day courses on them about 3 times a year just to keep it up. Obviously if they got the symptoms again I'll do the full 6 weeks again, but i plan on keeping it at bay by the smaller treatments. Esp as they board quite a bit for weekends.

9 days is a preventative and also for worming against 'normal' parasites.

28 days - 6 weeks is the 'cure' dose for active EC infections which are symptomatic.

I worm mine X2 yearly as they are constantly exposed to other bunnies.

Hi guys,

we do ours twice a year with the panacur, and twice a year with Ivermectin (as preventative - they treat different things and the vet said it's okay to use both).

When the vet was telling me about panacur rabbit to prevent E. Cuniculi, they gave me a leaflet produced by the company who make the Panacur rabbit and thier recommendation is 2-4 times a year at evenyl spaced intervals, but I agree with what someone's said about doing it at times when new buns are introduced, when boarding, and high risk periods etc. And also agree there's a good section on this in rabbitting on - well worth a read!:D

My vets are very much of the opinion that 4 times yearly is extreme and that its a bit of a marketing ploy by the company.

I give that same leaflet to adopters but with a note added about times of high risk and annual worming.

Back