• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I need help!

Pringle

Warren Veteran
Well im at the end of my tether!
As you proberly know prongle was at vet getting his teeth done again just after 5 weeks which is very short time. He normally eats grass but i feel hes not even eatin that anymore :cry: i keep puting him oout on grass but hes being picky and just sitting not eating it. He doesnt eat straws or hays ive tried about 10/11 different kinds, i just dont want himto be at vet all the time for his teeth but he doesnt seem to want grass anymore either and he loves that :cry: :cry:
any advice?
and sorryif ive spelt things wrong or not typed properly, im on main computer and used yo lap top :oops: :oops:

I'm not sure if he eats veg, but greens are quite good for teeth.

Also small dried peices of wholemeal bread are good for teeth i think.

I'm afraid i can't think of any tricks to get him to eat hay other than chop it up small and sneak it in his food bowl while there are some pellets in there. Some of the Burns Oat hay is very small and fits lovely in the bowl. I also put readigrass (or simialr) into the food bowl to get them to eat more.

to wear down front teeth maybe:

Fresh apple branches
carrot
raddish
swede

Pets at home do a naturals carrot log, to get to the carrot they have to chew the log. This really gets mine going.

To get him to eat more hay though all I can suggest is to go for the one he likes best & maybe get some dried grass too and cut down pellets and veg to amlost nothing (obviously wating a few days till hes recovered from his trip to the vet)

I got some readigrass a while back and he ate a couple of bits of that, but its like he gets bored. He does have greens, like chives, mint, spinage etc.. and i bought carrots with the top greens on them and he likes them, he also likes dandilion leafs xx

to wear down front teeth maybe:

Fresh apple branches
carrot
raddish
swede

Pets at home do a naturals carrot log, to get to the carrot they have to chew the log. This really gets mine going.

To get him to eat more hay though all I can suggest is to go for the one he likes best & maybe get some dried grass too and cut down pellets and veg to amlost nothing (obviously wating a few days till hes recovered from his trip to the vet)

Its his back teeth.
I bought that carrot log a while back but thats when he first got bloat so took it away incase it was that. I got told about the apple branches but i dont know where an apple tree is :roll: xx

Aww thank you tinkerbells mum that would be good if you could :thumb:
I thought about buying an apple tree from dobbies but that would only last two mins :lol:

Ive bought willow balls etc he doesnt eat them either, ill try a few different things though to see if he likes them, thank you xx

Poor Pringle :(

I was having the same trouble with Nibbles. She doesnt like hay or grass or straw, but since she's had Bobby, she loves hay, but only coz Bobby does!!!

My neighbours have a little apple tree in their garden that I want to steal. It has tiny red apples on it. The bunnies would love it...

Hi, I have the same problem with one of mine. He does eat grass but not enough and refuses to eat any type of hay. I bought some "grow your own" from the Hay Experts which is seeds that grow in 10-14 days to about 6-8 inches and Homer loves it and it is nice and long to try and get his back teeth down. Only problem is I need a garden full!!

I think i may try and buy a few different things and sticks, etc. I might try the grow your own. he likes cress but is it ok to give him a tray of that? or will it upset his stomach, he also liked the tops of carrots the green bit, but again do i have to just give little bits? also with dandilion leafs? :roll: rabbits huh!

BunnyBekkie Poor Pringle

I was having the same trouble with Nibbles. She doesnt like hay or grass or straw, but since she's had Bobby, she loves hay, but only coz Bobby does!!!

My neighbours have a little apple tree in their garden that I want to steal. It has tiny red apples on it. The bunnies would love it...

Well pinch it :lol: im sure they would love the apples to:lol:

I would get him over his op, then weigh him so you know where you are starting. Then cut back on your pellets slowly and try different types of hay. If you keep the pellets down you will find it easier to get him to eat more hay.

I would get him over his op, then weigh him so you know where you are starting. Then cut back on your pellets slowly and try different types of hay. If you keep the pellets down you will find it easier to get him to eat more hay.

I only give him a handful of pellets a day and thats all :( no matter what i do he refuses to eat hay. Ive tried all samples of hay experts, timothy hay, herbage hay, exell hay, hay from fields etc he wont eat it :roll: the stuff you buy out of pets at home the cheap straw he eats something out of their but its only when i put it fresh in he digs to bottom and eats something? not sure what but ones hes eaten what bits he likes he wont eat anymore, im not sure what he eats bit he digs his way to bottom and eats a little bit bit its practically nothing :roll: :cry:

Back