• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Changing Rabbit Food - Advice Please

KarinB

Warren Scout
Over the last two weeks I have been gradually changing my bunnies food from Science Selective to Allen and Page. Now they are completely on A & P but are not eating it and at present have not been given any food for a couple of days as there is still some in their bowl.

What do I do? Will they eventually eat it or should I revert back? The reason I changed is because they are not big hay eaters, suffer from dirty bots so I thought more fibre would benefit them.

I had that problem before. In the end, the best I manage is a permanent fix of the 2 different rabbit food. So for now, that's what you have to do, 2 different brand in the mix

Are your buns eating any of the A & P ? Are they eating lots of hay instead?

I have seen them eating some of the A & P but normally their bowl would be empty every day and, as I said earlier, the food has not been all consumed for a couple of days now.

I have seen them eating hay but they are not great hay eaters either.

I have asked my O/H to call and get me some more SS on his way home from work this morning as I am worried that they are hungry - but having said that, they have food/various types of hay and grass so they won't starve.

They are a worry though, arn't they!

I would weigh your buns so you can reassure yourself that they are not loosing weight.

Weigh out the amount of food you are giving them ensuring that you only give about 50g a day in total to them, go back a bit in your transfer over and give them a total of 30g of A&P and 20g of SS leave them at this level for a week and then drop down to 40g of A&P and 10g of SS leave it for another week and then give them 45g A&P and 5g of SS until you have finnished the bag. If you are giving them a lot more food you will find it harder to transfer them over to a new food.

If they maintain their weight on hay and a small amount of pellets, you are really reducing the chances of teeth and gut problems in your buns. A few people I know only feed hay to their buns with no dried food.

I am currently changing Evo from SS to Allen & Page too. He definitely isn't as keen on the A&P, hope this changes when he's transferred over completely. :?

Back