• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Administering Baytril - help! *updated*

Woodlouse

Mama Doe
Ant is on Baytril for a suspected ear infection. We've given 2 doses today by syringing it into his mouth but he REALLY doesn't like it :(

Anybody got any suggestions to make it easier? Don't want him to associate being picked up with having nasty stuff squirted in his mouth!

Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks!

Last edited:
try squirting it inside a grape or piece of banana-if he has had them before

when willow needed it i squirted it onto some raspberry leave and left him to eat them

Could you maybe wrap hiim in a towel? it would stop him kicking out and hurting himself. It you put the syringe in the side of his mouth it is easier and quicker, so less stress. Just behind the front teeth (coming in from the side) is a gap. Its the perfect place to put the syringe in and a quick squirt and jobs done without any fuss. Hope this helps

^ Good idea - or baby food, say banana and apple flavour mixed with the baytril. Bonus of these two are that it is still possible to syringe feed rather than trying to get him to eat something - Good Luck!

Hello :wave:

I have the same problem with my bunny, he HATES the stuff.. probably can't blame him as its meant to taste disgusting! What I do is mush up a couple of his pellets in warm water, and mush up a tiny bit of banana with it and add the baytril.... he usually wolfs it down! or you could mush up a few pellets and add a small amount of grated carrot.... another favourite! When i tried to administer the baytril the hard way (ie wrapping him up in a towel) it usually went everywhere other than his mouth and stressed him and myself out. This is the easier way i think!

Hope your bunny gets better soon xx

i put mine on a little bit of bread......it sort of soaks it up.

Hope Ants gets better soon.

I normally just hold and squirt - heartless, I know! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've mixed it with pineapple juice before and also put it on bread... hope the infection clears up :D

I would recommend the fruit baby food idea or a small amount of ribena/fruit juice..ans in the side of mouth..
a word of warning please don't trance him..turn him on his back...as he could then choke if liquid is squirted at his throat..
Good luck!

chels is stil on baytril for mxyi and out of all the buns iv ever had she is the one who has hated it the most... have tried all the above tricks (ribena has worked with another bun of mine in past) and if it on or in anything chels looks at us like do u really think im that stupid mum?!!! lol so unfortunalty have to syringe it... however her bio lapis she is on she loves as a treat:lol: :lol: as after her naasty baytril she gets that on a piece of spring greens gobbled faster than anything iever saw lol

As a last resort, would your vet allow you to inject it (ours does), it is a lot easier if you are confident you can do it OK.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. A combination of the towel and pineapple juice ideas worked a treat :D :D He didn't fight at all this evening and actually seemed to enjoy drinking pineapple juice from a syringe!! Hopefully things will continue this smoothly for the rest of the course of antibiotics!

Here's the handsome boy all wrapped up in his towel!
PB010125.jpg

Wish I'd had all your advice for all those times we fought to get a syringe in Mol's mouth!

Well done, i have never been able to wrap Lionel up in a towel we have to fight him to get him his meds as well:?

Awwwww just look at the gorgeous boy!! :love:
I am so pleased that he approves of his Pineapple flavoured Baytril!!

Janex

I injected baytril dose into a nice piece of apple and Frasier gobbled it up. I would suggest doing the same with whatever is your bunny's fave treat. Inject teh baytril into the treat and let it marinade for a few minutes. Hope this helps x

Awwww just seen your pic!!! Gorgeous bunny wab wab!!!!:love: :love: Hope the baytril makes his ear infection go away asap xxxx

Back