• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possibly pregnant - can I help her? U/D on the babies

Julia123

Warren Veteran
Hi, one of my fosters has built a nest and is now plucking fur. I'm aware this can just be a show of hormones but there is a chance she could be pregnant. My question is, can I help her? I've given her loads and loads of hay and fed her as usual but not let her out for her run tonight. She's indoors in a 48" dog crate.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks

Julia

Last edited:
hey,i only have a boy bun so i dont know bout this kind of stuff! :( have u tried doing a search or some of the old threads tho to see if theres anything useful on there?? i think as long as she seems ok then she shud be fine. keep us posted tho!!

:shock: Fingers crossed she's not and it is just hormones but if she is I agree that you've done as much as you can for now, just a matter of "wait and see" x

fingers crossed for you....hope there are no babies but if there are that they are healthy and happy.

Ollie gave birth at some point between Wed night and when I got home from work yesterday. Ollie is fine and had lots of binkies last night ! I think she is still rather bewildered as she is only a baby herself.

I've not looked in or touched the nest at all, but heard the babies snuffling about when I went to check on the fosters before bed last night. The nest is in a medium size carrier - about 18" x 20" x 20" which is inside a 48" dog crate in a heated (just enough to take chill off) conservatory.

I'm feeding mum Excel Junior, SS and increased green veg. If anyone can think of anything else I should be doing please let me know.

Meanwhile I'm keeping everything crossed she feeds them.

Congratulations to new mum. Hopefully she'll work everything out. Looking forward to seeing lots of photos when it's safe to do so.

Sounds like you're doing all you can. Its up to her now. Hope they all progress well x x

Congratulations Ollie! Bet that was a nice surprise for you :D Hope all goes well ... little bunnies :love: You'll be wanting to keep them all!!! :lol:

Congratulations Ollie! Bet that was a nice surprise for you :D Hope all goes well ... little bunnies :love: You'll be wanting to keep them all!!! :lol:

The problem is, I'm just so worried they won't make it, I've read so many stories on here of babies that don't :( Feel really helpless :? You know you are so right though....I want to keep every bun I see !!

Morning :wave:

I'm not brave enough to look as i'm worried she may reject them if i get involved :roll: happy to be corrected as i'd love to know myself! I still hear them and mum is doing really well, she seems so happy now and has become a lot more affectionate. On advice i gave her some organic oats last night to help build her up and she loved them!

The boy Speedy she came with (not dad as he was one of the only neutered buns in the group rescued) is doing well also, he had a small infection in his nose which is clearing up nicely with Baytril. Not letting them out to run together at the mo as i want to be able to keep Ollies door open so she knows she can get back to the kits, so run times are shorter but hey ho.

So no major update, I guess they will come out when they are ready?

Jx

Hi Just thought I would update, there are 4 fat babies :D two fawn, one agouti and one black and white :D They are a week old today !

MANY CONGRATS.....Do they look like bunnys yet or still like little blobs?

I only look for a short while (and not too often as not terribly keen on wiping my hands in Ollies wee TBH :roll: ) but yeah, they look like bunnies :D tiny fat bunnies with closed eyes and silky downy fur :D one of the fawn ones was was wriggling around this morning and had is back feet in the air for a moment...soooooo cute !!!! little baby feet !!!

Back