• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hal-Picked Up By His Ears By His Breeder........

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
..........so it's taken a *very* long time to get him to accept a nose rub

Picture1518.jpg

He is still very headshy and as he also has poor eyesight I am the only person he will allow to touch him.

Janex

aww jane how lovely he trusts you so much. god knows what the breeder was thinking. hes gorgeous. Reminds me of my buddy! You are obviously doing a great job with him :D

thats horriable and orange rexs are so skittish anyway but to do that is disgraceful couldnt of been a brc breeder though!

Last edited:
awwww jane they must see you as an angel :) poor little babies have such kakky starts and there you are to take them into heaven......

its very common within the breed and with out regular handerling from a young age it can be very traumatic for the owner and rabbit the very first rex i ever got is still very head shy even though i stroke him and cuddle him every day when ever i open the hutch he runs to the back and lays as flat as he can he does make me feel bad but i find if you handle them from about 3-4wks of age they loose the skittishness:D

oh and im not being mean or wanting to cause trouble but by the looks of your boy Jane his back claws are due to be cut they look alittle long wouldnt want them to get caught in the vetbed.:) was it a brc breeder that done that to his poor ears?:cry:

Last edited:
Are orange rex's supposed to be skittish? I never knew that

Poorly bred Orange Rexes often have limited near-sight so that adds to the problem. Hal cant see much at all really so it has taken lots of effort to build up his trust.
But its so rewarding to see how he has come out of his shell, so to speak :D

Janex

Thats interesting about them being skittish. my orange rex is a total extrovert! Eyesight seems fine. Maybe he was originally from a good breeder or handled well before we got him? Who knows!

I can't believe people would pick rabbits up by their ears but I think that's maybe what's happened with Apache as well. If you touch his ears he flattens and starts grinding his teeth :?

Frankie was very head shy when I was fostering him.

Im pretty sure he was picked up by his ears.....he would try to make himself as small as possible if you went near them.

Awww, I just LOVE Hal!!!!!:D :D :D He reminds me SO much of my Poppy!:D

I just cannot fathom anyone picking a bunny up by their ears.....plain common sense should tell ANYONE that the weight of a bunny hanging my it's delicate ears is going to cause it a lot of pain and fear.:cry: :cry: I think that people who pick bunnies up by their ears should be suspended for a while by one of THEIR delicate body parts and see how THEY like it!:evil: :evil: :evil:

Huge nose rubs via Jane to Hal!!!!!:D

Back