• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny's Weepy eye...

Custardpowder

Young Bun
HI all
Flower has a weepy eye, I noticed it looking damp last night but it was so little it was possible that it had been caused by a drip from her water bottle.
Tonight its looking much worse. Ive made an appt for tomorrow with the vet. Is there anything I can do for tonight or is it best left alone?

Ta in advance:)

Try bathing it with salty water thats been previously boiled & allowed to cool down. Wipe it with a cotton pad from the inside of the eye outwards. Good luck & let us know how she gets on at the Vets

stew had this, just out of the blue it went really red n weepy! :( i think its fairly common though

i was in the same boat n cudnt get to the vets until the next day so boiled the kettle, got a clean cup, put a little bit of salt n the water in and let it cool. when it was cool enough i go lots of clean cotton pads (like the ones u use for taking off make up) and dipped the pads in then used them only once to wipe at his eye (moving from the front to the back cos u dont want to push any infection into the tear duct) and that seemed to help a bit.

when i took him to the vets they checked it wasnt his teeth causing it, gave me some antibiotics to give him daily at home and some drops and it cleared up quite quick, came to bout £25 in total so wasnt the huge vets bill i had braced myself for!! lol :D

I agree, just wipe it with some clean water and cotton wool pads. Make sure that the vet checks the teeth thoroughly.

Hopefully it will just be a little infection that can be cleared up with some drops.

I bathed it as you suggested and its much better today so I cancelled the vet( because im too ill to actually take her at the mo!) and will keep an eye on it. It didnt look at all weepy this morning nor tonight but I cleaned it anyway.

Back