PDA

View Full Version : Camping Rabbits

Squishybunny
31-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Hi I was musing on this a few days ago and decided to ask the question.

Has anyone taken there rabbits camping with them, if so what did you take in the way of housing and how did they like it????

The reason I ask is that my other half and I love camping and don't see any reason why the buns can't come to, as long a they are provided for and protected of course. I'd be really interested to find anyone else as mental as I am and learn from their experiences.

Thanks

Raven Rexs
31-10-2007, 03:45 PM
mixi is a very good reason the buns shouldnt go

janice
31-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Are you looking at camping over the winter, spring / autumn or summer? Are your rabbits indoors or outdoor buns?

bunnyhaven
31-10-2007, 03:51 PM
I would be interested to know as we camp alot and would love to take our housebunny with us! we only camp in summer!

Squishybunny
31-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Outdoor buns

possibly to camp spring/summer/autumn, don't do winter camping as thats abit hardcore.

Kirsty + Rich
31-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi,
We camp a lot and I would also love to take the bunnies!! :)

However, we went camping this year and spent a week on site with a myxi infected warren. Every time you went to the toilet block you had to pass very poorly bunnies. :cry:

We would never take them for this reason.

Kirsty

janice
31-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Whilst I would say Myxie is a risk, however by vaccinating bunnies and also using something like xenex extra which is a insect repellent (please see thread which is on going on this) you will help reduce the risk. People who have rabbits also live in the country, so the threat of myxie is not really a valid reason for a total no to taking your bun. Other issues are foxes and potentially other peoples dogs if the campsite allows dogs ..... so you need a secure base for bun to live in whilst you are away and also about.

There are also issues of heat control, tents and also caravans are all known to get very hot in the sun.

You would need provision for daytime accomodation and somewhere secure for the bun to run about, for me a harness is not a secure method of allowing adequate exercise. The provision of a clean area to run about is necessary and you would need to consider what the camping area is normally used for, and consider if it is a dog free site.

I am sure there are other issues, other people can come up with ..........

ZakuraRabbit
31-10-2007, 04:15 PM
I take my rabbits with me when we're going camping. Myxi isn't a problem in Norway so I see no reason not to.
I've used different solutions for housing every time.
First year I only had one rabbit, and I brought Zakura, along with a transport cage for dogs and her regular indoor cage.
The transport was used at night, I had it inside the front-tent of the cabin.
At day-time she used the top of her ordinary cage.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/ZakuraRabbit/Kaninpusene/Zakurapplatten2.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/ZakuraRabbit/Kaninpusene/Zakurapplatten3.jpg
The house is an old sink turned upside down:lol:
Next year I brought both Sasuke and Zakura along, and I took their pens with me.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/ZakuraRabbit/Kaninpusene/Kanin-Zakura-ferie-Steinpdagen.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/ZakuraRabbit/Kaninpusene/Kanin-Zakura-Feriebur.jpg
Here's Zakura's. Same old house, the litter box is a water tank cut in half:lol:
I don't have any full pictures of Sasuke's run at the campsite but here's one taken at home.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/ZakuraRabbit/DSCN1388.jpg
And here you see him enjoying his vacation:D
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/ZakuraRabbit/Bur/Kanin-Sasukeiferiebur.jpg
Last year I only brought Aroma (I was "forced" to tag along with my parents....and since it was so troublesome bringing 2 rabbits the year before, I really didn't want to bring 3, so I left Sasuke and Zakura at home with the hamster, my grandma fed them. Since Aroma was the newest one I wanted to bring her for "bonding" (With me that is:p )
She used the indoor cage, turned upside down.:lol:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/ZakuraRabbit/Kaninpusene/Aromasferiebur.jpg

cavysrock
31-10-2007, 09:54 PM
When I took my lot to the caravan, they either slpet in a indoor cage in teh car at night and had a secure indoor/outdoor run during the day, but thsi was before we took their hutches with us :lol:

Squishybunny
01-11-2007, 10:31 AM
There must be more people out there that have taken their rabbits away with them, either to a caravan or camping.

Azraelm
01-11-2007, 10:52 AM
What do you do with them when you leave the campsite though? :? Surely you don't stay there all the time? Tent or outside i wouldn't trust strangers with them, and the car would be too hot, depending on time of year.

Seems a bit unecessary to me, I think boarding or a pet sitter would be better :?

ZakuraRabbit
01-11-2007, 11:54 AM
What do you do with them when you leave the campsite though? :? Surely you don't stay there all the time? Tent or outside i wouldn't trust strangers with them, and the car would be too hot, depending on time of year.

Seems a bit unecessary to me, I think boarding or a pet sitter would be better :?

We are all surrounded by our family on our campsite:D
The cages are usually put between our cabin and my uncle's.
We know everyone around as we go there every year.

I don't think its unnecessary, I love having the animals around, (one thing is that the campsite is extremely boring:roll: ) I may even spend MORE time with the rabbits there than I do normally. :lol:

First time we also had Zakura in the dog crate at night and when we weren't around (or one time when a friend's cat was bothering her) but that cage was far too small. (It belonged to my uncle's dachshound) so now they spend all time in the secured run. Except for predators I think those runs may well be just as secure as their hutches at home, and no predator would wanna go near our dog Max who stays very close.

Azraelm
01-11-2007, 11:58 AM
We are all surrounded by our family on our campsite:D

I don't think its unnecessary, I love having the animals around, (one thing is that the campsite is extremely boring:roll: ) I may even spend MORE time with the rabbits there than I do normally. :lol:

First time we also had Zakura in the dog crate at night and when we weren't around (or one time when a friend's cat was bothering her) but that cage was far too small. (It belonged to my uncle's dachshound) so now they spend all time in the secured run. Except for predators I think those runs may well be just as secure as their hutches at home, and no predator would wanna go near our dog Max who stays very close.

But what about when you leave the campsite? Whats to stop a child or cruel adult coming along and opening the cage?

ecudc
01-11-2007, 01:58 PM
i would be a little worried about someone nicking my bun/hutch to take them camping......unless it was a caravan or really large tent which the hutch could go in without people seeing.

ZakuraRabbit
01-11-2007, 03:28 PM
But what about when you leave the campsite? Whats to stop a child or cruel adult coming along and opening the cage?

We are all surrounded by our family on our campsite

So there's always someone around to keep an eye on them.
The kids that are at the campsite rarely stray far from their families, and there aren't any at least a few caravans away from ours besides they're pretty well hidden too. You don't see the cages unless you actually go behind our caravan or up at my uncle's terrace and I see no reason why strangers should go there:roll:

Kind of hard to explain so I made a map (do ignore my lousy map-making skills)
Notice that the caravans and the runs are much higher than the beach.
(And for my limited english skills...when you have something like a small house on wheels that is attached to your car that's a caravan right?:oops: )
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/ZakuraRabbit/camp.jpg

Willow_Warren
01-11-2007, 03:36 PM
I don't want to sound controvertial, but are you taking your rabbits on holiday for their benefit or your own?

janice
01-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Is this a public campsite or a private plot of land?

ZakuraRabbit
01-11-2007, 03:41 PM
I don't want to sound controvertial, but are you taking your rabbits on holiday for their benefit or your own?

Both I'd say. If they're at home they'll probably be stuck in their cages all day.
When I take them with me they get to be with their family and get lots of exercise in the beach.
Private or public...well not sure what you mean. We rent the plot yes, but its "ours" so no one else ever uses it. This is the case for most of the other holiday-goers as well.

Azraelm
01-11-2007, 03:42 PM
So there's always someone around to keep an eye on them.
The kids that are at the campsite rarely stray far from their families, and there aren't any at least a few caravans away from ours besides they're pretty well hidden too. You don't see the cages unless you actually go behind our caravan or up at my uncle's terrace and I see no reason why strangers should go there:roll:

Kind of hard to explain so I made a map (do ignore my lousy map-making skills)
Notice that the caravans and the runs are much higher than the beach.
(And for my limited english skills...when you have something like a small house on wheels that is attached to your car that's a caravan right?:oops: )
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/ZakuraRabbit/camp.jpg

When the OP talked about camping I assumed they meant in a tent on a public camp site, not a caravan- thats not camping :?

ZakuraRabbit
01-11-2007, 03:44 PM
When the OP talked about camping I assumed they meant in a tent on a public camp site, not a caravan- thats not camping :?

Oh well I call it that. It is in Norwegian.

Willow_Warren
01-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Oh well I call it that. It is in Norwegian.

I've just found this photo of a campite

http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/gallery/d/21068-1/campsite-aerial-ba21150.jpg?

I imagine I'm not the only one that was thinking of this kind of set up for a camp site as that's the only kind of campsite that I've seen!

As you can see, lots of people no real security between them!

Hannah

ZakuraRabbit
01-11-2007, 03:58 PM
I've just found this photo of a campite

http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/gallery/d/21068-1/campsite-aerial-ba21150.jpg?

I imagine I'm not the only one that was thinking of this kind of set up for a camp site as that's the only kind of campsite that I've seen!

As you can see, lots of people no real security between them!

Hannah

I'm just saying what mine is like.
I wouldn't take them to such a campsite no, unless I'm able to keep an eye on them all the time.

Willow_Warren
01-11-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm just saying what mine is like.
I wouldn't take them to such a campsite no, unless I'm able to keep an eye on them all the time.

My last post wasn't meant as a critisism to you, just thought it might help explain some peoples opinions, as they were envisaging something different :D

Hannah

ZakuraRabbit
01-11-2007, 04:01 PM
My last post wasn't meant as a critisism to you, just thought it might help explain some peoples opinions, as they were envisaging something different :D

Hannah

Ok. Thanks for clearing up:D

Alpha
01-11-2007, 04:04 PM
I for one would love to take mine - we use a tourer and an awning but i have not because i worry abt the foxes gettin into the awning and gettin them. I think if i had a largler caravan then i may take my house bunnies but i would not risk putting them outside anything could happen only takes a split second for them to get free and they just run if they panic. so i for one would not risk it however much i would love to take them.

xxx abbie xxx

janice
01-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Both I'd say. If they're at home they'll probably be stuck in their cages all day.
When I take them with me they get to be with their family and get lots of exercise in the beach.
Private or public...well not sure what you mean. We rent the plot yes, but its "ours" so no one else ever uses it. This is the case for most of the other holiday-goers as well.

You are talking of what in the UK would be a private plot where the public cannot go. A public site is where people turn up and pay to pitch their tents or take their mobile caravans with them and are then allocated a space on this large site. What would work in a private site would not work in a public site. In the UK camping is with a tent not using the protection of a caravan,

janice
01-11-2007, 04:09 PM
I for one would love to take mine - we use a tourer and an awning but i have not because i worry abt the foxes gettin into the awning and gettin them. I think if i had a largler caravan then i may take my house bunnies but i would not risk putting them outside anything could happen only takes a split second for them to get free and they just run if they panic. so i for one would not risk it however much i would love to take them.

xxx abbie xxx

The issue for me would be to keep them in an area where they do not overheat, caravans and tents can get very hot .... also very cold when the weather turns.

Alpha
01-11-2007, 10:19 PM
totally agree with you - However some of the modern caravans do have air con and we do caravan more in the winter and autumn as we have dogs and wouldnt be letting them stay in there if it was too hot. xx

janice
01-11-2007, 10:24 PM
totally agree with you - However some of the modern caravans do have air con and we do caravan more in the winter and autumn as we have dogs and wouldnt be letting them stay in there if it was too hot. xx

This is probably workable.

Spacegirl
01-11-2007, 10:35 PM
I agree that this would seem to be more for the owner's benefit that the rabbits. Rabbits like routine and stability. Most are stressed by changes and also travelling. You also wouldn't be able to control the environment such as other animals and general noise (campsites can be very noisy!!) This kind of stress could bring on illness quite quickly.
Plus all the other concerns that have been raised - fluctuating temperatures, suitable accomodation and excercise space and security especially and I would say that in all but a few unusual cases, rabbits would be better off at a good boarding centre or with family or friends looking after them.

kokaneeandkuhluha
01-11-2007, 10:57 PM
I haven't yet decided to or not to take mine camping. We live in Canada so as far as I've read we don't have mixi or anything like that.
Our campsites are public plots of land but they sure don't look like that picture! :lol: Ours are more secluded with lots of trees etc.
They look more like this
http://www.ourbc.com/discover_bc/rivers/swimmingholes/sooke_potholes/campground_01_640.jpg

My boyfriend and I DONT leave our campground though....We are both lazy bums :lol: ...we camp mostly to get out in nature but we don't actually hike or anything...We usually get there, cook dinner, have some beers and go to bed...get up, have some coffee, pack up and head home. We do take longer camping trips but that is more like travelling and staying at campgrounds instead of hotels -then we usually stay at the posher sites that have pools, showers and smaller sites...

I really did want to bring Kokanee camping...She'd have a ball...I was just going to use tent pegs to peg the top part of her old cage to the ground for her during the day when supervised and put her in the cage in our tent at night! But now we have kahlua and I think looking after two bunnies while camping would be too much. I also don't think kahlua would enjoy it that much...