• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Camping Rabbits

Squishybunny

Warren Scout
Hi I was musing on this a few days ago and decided to ask the question.

Has anyone taken there rabbits camping with them, if so what did you take in the way of housing and how did they like it????

The reason I ask is that my other half and I love camping and don't see any reason why the buns can't come to, as long a they are provided for and protected of course. I'd be really interested to find anyone else as mental as I am and learn from their experiences.

Thanks

Are you looking at camping over the winter, spring / autumn or summer? Are your rabbits indoors or outdoor buns?

I would be interested to know as we camp alot and would love to take our housebunny with us! we only camp in summer!

Hi,
We camp a lot and I would also love to take the bunnies!! :)

However, we went camping this year and spent a week on site with a myxi infected warren. Every time you went to the toilet block you had to pass very poorly bunnies. :cry:

We would never take them for this reason.

Kirsty

Whilst I would say Myxie is a risk, however by vaccinating bunnies and also using something like xenex extra which is a insect repellent (please see thread which is on going on this) you will help reduce the risk. People who have rabbits also live in the country, so the threat of myxie is not really a valid reason for a total no to taking your bun. Other issues are foxes and potentially other peoples dogs if the campsite allows dogs ..... so you need a secure base for bun to live in whilst you are away and also about.

There are also issues of heat control, tents and also caravans are all known to get very hot in the sun.

You would need provision for daytime accomodation and somewhere secure for the bun to run about, for me a harness is not a secure method of allowing adequate exercise. The provision of a clean area to run about is necessary and you would need to consider what the camping area is normally used for, and consider if it is a dog free site.

I am sure there are other issues, other people can come up with ..........

I take my rabbits with me when we're going camping. Myxi isn't a problem in Norway so I see no reason not to.
I've used different solutions for housing every time.
First year I only had one rabbit, and I brought Zakura, along with a transport cage for dogs and her regular indoor cage.
The transport was used at night, I had it inside the front-tent of the cabin.
At day-time she used the top of her ordinary cage.
Zakurapplatten2.jpg

Zakurapplatten3.jpg

The house is an old sink turned upside down:lol:
Next year I brought both Sasuke and Zakura along, and I took their pens with me.
Kanin-Zakura-ferie-Steinpdagen.jpg

Kanin-Zakura-Feriebur.jpg

Here's Zakura's. Same old house, the litter box is a water tank cut in half:lol:
I don't have any full pictures of Sasuke's run at the campsite but here's one taken at home.
DSCN1388.jpg

And here you see him enjoying his vacation:D
Kanin-Sasukeiferiebur.jpg

Last year I only brought Aroma (I was "forced" to tag along with my parents....and since it was so troublesome bringing 2 rabbits the year before, I really didn't want to bring 3, so I left Sasuke and Zakura at home with the hamster, my grandma fed them. Since Aroma was the newest one I wanted to bring her for "bonding" (With me that is:p )
She used the indoor cage, turned upside down.:lol:
Aromasferiebur.jpg

When I took my lot to the caravan, they either slpet in a indoor cage in teh car at night and had a secure indoor/outdoor run during the day, but thsi was before we took their hutches with us :lol:

What do you do with them when you leave the campsite though? :? Surely you don't stay there all the time? Tent or outside i wouldn't trust strangers with them, and the car would be too hot, depending on time of year.

Seems a bit unecessary to me, I think boarding or a pet sitter would be better :?

What do you do with them when you leave the campsite though? :? Surely you don't stay there all the time? Tent or outside i wouldn't trust strangers with them, and the car would be too hot, depending on time of year.

Seems a bit unecessary to me, I think boarding or a pet sitter would be better :?

We are all surrounded by our family on our campsite:D
The cages are usually put between our cabin and my uncle's.
We know everyone around as we go there every year.

I don't think its unnecessary, I love having the animals around, (one thing is that the campsite is extremely boring:roll: ) I may even spend MORE time with the rabbits there than I do normally. :lol:

First time we also had Zakura in the dog crate at night and when we weren't around (or one time when a friend's cat was bothering her) but that cage was far too small. (It belonged to my uncle's dachshound) so now they spend all time in the secured run. Except for predators I think those runs may well be just as secure as their hutches at home, and no predator would wanna go near our dog Max who stays very close.

We are all surrounded by our family on our campsite:D

I don't think its unnecessary, I love having the animals around, (one thing is that the campsite is extremely boring:roll: ) I may even spend MORE time with the rabbits there than I do normally. :lol:

First time we also had Zakura in the dog crate at night and when we weren't around (or one time when a friend's cat was bothering her) but that cage was far too small. (It belonged to my uncle's dachshound) so now they spend all time in the secured run. Except for predators I think those runs may well be just as secure as their hutches at home, and no predator would wanna go near our dog Max who stays very close.

But what about when you leave the campsite? Whats to stop a child or cruel adult coming along and opening the cage?

i would be a little worried about someone nicking my bun/hutch to take them camping......unless it was a caravan or really large tent which the hutch could go in without people seeing.

But what about when you leave the campsite? Whats to stop a child or cruel adult coming along and opening the cage?

We are all surrounded by our family on our campsite
So there's always someone around to keep an eye on them.
The kids that are at the campsite rarely stray far from their families, and there aren't any at least a few caravans away from ours besides they're pretty well hidden too. You don't see the cages unless you actually go behind our caravan or up at my uncle's terrace and I see no reason why strangers should go there:roll:

Kind of hard to explain so I made a map (do ignore my lousy map-making skills)
Notice that the caravans and the runs are much higher than the beach.
(And for my limited english skills...when you have something like a small house on wheels that is attached to your car that's a caravan right?:oops: )
camp.jpg

Last edited:
I don't want to sound controvertial, but are you taking your rabbits on holiday for their benefit or your own?

Both I'd say. If they're at home they'll probably be stuck in their cages all day.
When I take them with me they get to be with their family and get lots of exercise in the beach.
Private or public...well not sure what you mean. We rent the plot yes, but its "ours" so no one else ever uses it. This is the case for most of the other holiday-goers as well.

So there's always someone around to keep an eye on them.
The kids that are at the campsite rarely stray far from their families, and there aren't any at least a few caravans away from ours besides they're pretty well hidden too. You don't see the cages unless you actually go behind our caravan or up at my uncle's terrace and I see no reason why strangers should go there:roll:

Kind of hard to explain so I made a map (do ignore my lousy map-making skills)
Notice that the caravans and the runs are much higher than the beach.
(And for my limited english skills...when you have something like a small house on wheels that is attached to your car that's a caravan right?:oops: )
camp.jpg

When the OP talked about camping I assumed they meant in a tent on a public camp site, not a caravan- thats not camping :?

Back