• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Erm....how long do rabbits live??

sarahmarshadlam

Warren Scout
Hi,

I just would like to know the answer to this question....My Tinker's only a year old but I wonder how long do rabbits usually live for? Tinker's a large dutch bunny.

Sarah xx

Most places seem to say between four and seven as an average but obviously not every bun lives to four and quite a few live to over seven

Ooh, what about house rabbits? I heard on one rabbits that they can live for longer, about 12 years?? I hope so, Tinkers my baby, I'd be heartbroken without him...

Ah, well if it depends on care he should live to about 20:D

Not necessarily, he could have a heart problem that you don't know about, he could be a ticking time bomb for anything.

I don't think theres any difference between house rabbits and outside buns

Indoor rabbits are more prone to other problems such as electrocution than outside ones, so may not live as long, others may.

Every rabbit is different. The life span of giants is less than the more normal sized ones.

ticking timebomb, don't say that:oops:

Well, I hope he lives for a long time, he certainly will be cared for extremely well (and wont get elctrocuted).

ticking timebomb, don't say that:oops:

Well, I hope he lives for a long time, he certainly will be cared for extremely well (and wont get elctrocuted).

I mention electrocution only as ARC took in a rabbit a couple of years ago, and had caused a fire and had electrocuted someone and destroyed many hundreds of pounds worth of electircal equipment due to its chewing habbits all before he had reached the tender age of 10 weeks :shock:

Just make sure to hide and cover up all wires and he should be fine;)
We had a chinchilla at school that got electrocuted:cry: Poor thing got hold of the wire to the guinea pig's heat lamp.

My co-worker had a Dutch that lived 12 years, but that is unusual. The average life span of a house rabbit is 7-10 years according to the House Rabbit Society here in the states.

I have six house rabbits and the oldest so far is 7 years and she is still very active and healthy.

Good luck!

Brigitte

can vary between breeds and depends on care , genetics and luck i think .

i have a small outdoor lop who is almost 9.5 years old .
he gets ill now and again and hes very frail ...but hes still here. :love:

Back