• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit's Tails

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
I'm curious, how much does your rabbit use it's tail? I've noticed Scamp (wild bunny) uses his tail quite a lot. He'll stick it out sideways to help with balance and it also seems much more dexterous. He can bring it forward and drape it over his back foot to wash it. Do you think pet bunnies have less useful tails?

Tamsin

Storm shakes his at me as he runs off in disgrace about something :lol: it's so funny!
Gypsy uses hers a lot more, she points it out when she seems curious and tilts it down when she is relaxing and all stretched out. When she is aggressive I have seen it really high up, almost flat against her back :shock:

I can't say I've ever seen Bobbin use his for balance, he does lift it up when running around in excitement, and obviously when he goes to the loo!! :lol:

Tinker uses it for balance and also, if he's annoyed he'll wiggle it. I think Tinker has an extra ordinary long pointy tale - you can see the pic, in 'your photos and sotries' under 'thinking womans chihuahua':D

I've noticed that mine do move their tail round to their back paw for washing it.

Since separating the pairs if they smell/see eachother even for a second their tails shoot up in the air!

Frasier does use his tail sometimes for balance I think. I was worried at first at it was often "swung to the side" but then he did have a toe removed after he was rescued by honeybunnies so I'm assuming he is using it to help his balance on that side.

I'm curious, how much does your rabbit use it's tail? I've noticed Scamp (wild bunny) uses his tail quite a lot. He'll stick it out sideways to help with balance and it also seems much more dexterous. He can bring it forward and drape it over his back foot to wash it. Do you think pet bunnies have less useful tails?

Tamsin

Nope, I think it depends on the rabbit. Since mine are twins, I am able to compare and there is a huge difference between the female and the male. My female does the same thing, she twists her tail diffently, depending how she sits or lies, also when making binkies or running, she flips her tail around like a dog. The male doesn't partculary use his, neither did my previous bunies, we are calling Clicquot our dog now :)

Fidget uses her tail a lot, when she's annoyed it goes right up in the air and you can see how she positions if for balance! I've never noticed with Daisy though, she's so dizzy she probably doesn't realise she has one... :lol:

My boy rabbit uses his tail alot, my girl rabbit doesn't. Maybe there is a difference between gender?

My rainbow bunny girl didn't have a tail, it had to be amputated when she was younger but it didn't seem to bother her.
As she go older she was a bit clumsy with her back legs but vet thought it was due to nerve damage from EC rather than having no tail.

lol, since your post, I have a "tail-fixation" have been watching their tails for hours now... want a report? :roll:

Back