• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bailey - worth the risk?

baileydonut

Alpha Buck
Me and OH keep going round in circles.

As you know we lost Donut very suddenly last Friday.

Bailey keeps sitting by patio doors looking in. He wants to come in! I think its for company.

Whilst he and Donut did not live together, they lived side by side. They had alternate time out and more often than not, whichever bun was out, would spend a lot of time outside the other ones hutch. If the other bun was in the run, they would lie side by side with just the mesh separating them.

In the past I had a girl and boy and lost both following neutering. I was assured by the vet that it was nothing to do with the the op (they died very suddenly of EC), but I am obviously very anxious/nervous about having Bailey neutered.

Donut had an op last year for a torn ear and there were no probs.

Do I leave Bailey and get another male and do the same as before with alternate time out etc, or have Bailey neutered and get him a girlfriend? I know that I would never forigve myself if anything happened to Bailey.

I was chatting to the vet on Monday and she was very reassuring. She said that they knew far more about buns now than they did a few years ago. They use a gentle GA and said he would be in very good hands. She also told me to bear in mind that its not an invasive op.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. I know the final decision is ours, but we really don't know what to do.

It is a difficult dilemma. I would sway more to the route of getting him a girly friend. That way he can really play with her, and they would have more time out to play.

I know it's hard but you must try not to worry about the neutering, so many people on here have it done without any probs and as the vet said, male castration is not an invasive operation.

I wish you all the best and luck for the future :)

I would get him neutered and find him a lovely girlfriend.
I've had two buns have ops this year, and both were fine. Squidgy is our little boy, and we were petrified about him having an operation, but he needed neutering as he was unhappy (and peeing everywhere!). It took him a couple of days to come round properly but he's fine now.
Bobby had an op last Tuesday, and you couldn't tell anything had ahppened to him - he was eating and pooping when he left the vets.
Your vet sounds like she knows what she's doing and Bailey would be happier with a bunny friend I think.

I'd get him neutered and then find him a girl friend. Try not to worry about the neutering, I know it's hard, but many buns on here have been through a neutering and come through so I'm sure he'll be fine :)

I would get him neutered and then find him a spayed girl friend from a rescue then they could be together all the time and you could find him a lady cuddle up to!

You've all said what I was thinking. Someone warm to cuddle up to in the winter! The vet called me a big softy. She was great though - even offered bonding advice.

I can understand your reluctance to get him neutered with what's happened in the past but your Vet does sound clued up. I would go ahead if I had total faith in her.

When Rusty went to the Bridge leaving Spike on his lonesome, I brought him in the house where he made himself thoroughly at home and seemed very happy with me for company. It was a while before I could consider another bun.. then Kiki showed her pretty little face and I was hooked. At the time I wasn't actively looking for a buddy for him as my emotions on losing Rusty were still very raw. (Thankfully Donna was very patient and understanding with me).

I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you all :wave:

Part of me too feels its too soon, but to be honest, its helping me keep my mind off Donut.

Bailey came in yesterday for a love and frightened the living daylights out of one of my cats. He only wanted to say hello. Smudge is a grumpy old girl though.

I'd definately get him done asap and get him a lucky wife who needs a good home.

I've lost rabbits suddenly and then got another quite quickly, then worried that it was too soon..... but getting another bun so soon, is not trying to replace the one you've lost, but the new bun will fill a void, and Bailey will benefit from a friend he can actually cuddle.

Youre bound to be apprehensive about the op, but these days far fewer buns suffer complications plus he's a male so its a quicker op and less risky anyway. I think the benefits far outway the minimal risk and a new bun will be good for both of you.

:wave:

Well, I still haven't had the courage to book Bailey in and it turns out hubby doesn't want to take the risk either. I got the 'its up to you' phrase earlier tonight. Its obviously a decision I don't want to make on my own. Think Bailey might be a solitary bun for a while :cry: Perhaps a 'hard to home' solitary bun might be an option. I feel I am talking myself round in circles.

The risk is so minimal and you can have tests done before hand to check his health and see if he is likely to have an adverse reaction to the aneasthesia.

Speys are much more invasive and risky than a castrate and the Does are more likely to suffer after the operation.

I have never had to take a buck back due to lost appetite/stasis and I have only had two who got an infection which was sorted with antibiotics.

I have only lost one rabbit under aneasthetic and she had a heart murmur.

I just don't think we could ever forgive ourselves if anything happened to Bailey. We have lost three animals in the last six weeks. I think it has affected us more than we realised.

Im not trying to convince you either way....the risk is always there.

Just the facts as they have affected me, and so that other people reading this are also aware of the relatively low risk associated with a castration.

Flopsy is a very nervy bun and went in a had the op no problem. He had recovered the same day (you could'nt even tell he had been anywhere).

He is now looking for his wifey.:D

i think you should have another chat with your vet and then bite the bullet and book him in. i know there is a risk but there is always a risk in everything - and in this case it is outweighed by the happiness Bailey would have with a girlfriend to kiss and binky with and snuggle up to. That is what I think.:D

Your vet sounds very knowledgable which is very important. I expect you will be feeling so awful until he is fully recovered, but it will be so worth it, watching him cuddle up to his girly. I'm sure he'd thank you for it :D

Back