• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cocoa Puff/Dry Skin Problem

brigitte

Warren Scout
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a spayed female mini-lop with a dry skin problem, I think. I noticed she was loosing more fur than usual and the vet's diagnosis was a heavy molt. Her advice was to brush her frequently and try to get rid of the dead fur. She checked her for mites and found none. This was several months ago. I have been brushing her several times daily and removing the dead fur but tonight I noticed that her fur is coming out in clumps and at the base of the fur (the part that comes out of her skin), there is dandruff looking white flakes on the fur and on her skin in several places. Her skin is flaky but not scabby (no bleeding), if that makes any sense. When I pet her in the affected areas (on her lower back), she licks my hand constantly, so I'm pretty sure it bothers her but she doesn't seem to be in any pain. She is eating, drinking, pooing and urinating normally. She is also just as active as she normally was.

I am making another appointment to have her looked at by the vet but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what may be going on with her?

Thanks,

Brigitte

:wave: I have same problem with my male mini lop. His skin is flakey where he's moulting too. My vet has also checked for mites, but hasn't found any.

So I'll be interested in any suggestions. :D

Amy

Thanks everyone - I'll try the primrose oil - any idea where I would get some? Never heard of it - hopefully it's available in the states here.

I'll let you know what the vet says.

Okay, it's off to work now -

Brigitte

its usally used in dogs and cats and is quite easy to get hold of out here i should think you would be able to get it out there as i think ours is imported from the states

Okay, I just got back from the vet and she thinks Cocoa has allergies to pollen, etc. She gave her a cortizone shot and sent her home. She said to give it a couple weeks and see how she's doing.

Just thought I'd give everyone an update.

Thanks,

Brigitte

Back