• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new to bonding - getting there!

vick

Alpha Buck
I have been trying to bond my 5 year old Daisy and 3 year old Harvey but so far it hasn't gone to plan!

I've tried to get them used to each others scents by having their cages near each other for a few days. I thought that Daisy would be the problem as she's a feisty minx but it seems that Harvey is playing the role of the little monster instead! On their first encounter they appeared a bit aloof at first - I'm not sure if either of them have met other rabbits previously, then Daisy moved over to Harvey for a closer look, but he lunged at her and ended up with her fur in his mouth. Poor Daisy was terrified and ran and hid under the sofa.

Tried them together again tonight and Daisy bless her is very forgiving and very interested in Harvey. She clearly likes him and wants to be friends but he's not having any of it at the moment. He lunged at her a few times again tonight but didn't take any fur thankfully.

Do you think I've got my work cut out trying to get these two bonded or has anyone else had a similar experience at the start and ended up with bunnies in love?

Last edited:
Hi, Are you bonding them in a neutral area, like a room that neither are used to being in? I haven't much experience of bonding...but if you google bonding rabbits on teh net, there should be loads of resources giving tips and advice. Good luck! Sarie x

If you are trying to bond your rabbits, it is essential that you choose a totally neutral place wither neither of them have been before. Try and ensure you have a couple of days together to bond them so that they do not need to be split.

When bonding them they will lunge, chase and hump each other this is all perfectly normal, often chunks of loose fur will get pulled out. It is essential that you stop them for a few seconds if they are latched onto each other circling. Then re release them, keep doing this until they settle. Stop if they draw blood.

Do not use your hands to separate them if you need to do so, always use a broom unless you enjoy getting bitten ;)

If you have never bonded before you may find it easier to see if someone lives near you who can help, or for a donation a local rescue may be able to assist you.

I'd recommend a pair of good thick oven gloves. It not only shocks them if you get between them - and you don't get bitten - but mine got to the stage where I only had to wave it and they stopped fighting and huddled together looking like butter wouldn't melt in their little mouths.

I agree with the neutral ground, try somewhere like the bathroom, if its small enough and neither have been in there before.... a smaller area is better than a large one, and having a sofa to run and hide under wont help.

If your really struggling and not having any luck (it is scary when its your own buns), you can gladly make use of my playhouse in my garden, it comes complete with broom and thick gardening gloves lol.

I'm no bonding expert but have witnessed a few. (Jill has used it a couple of times to bond bunnies). Its not secure enough to leave them in overnight, but youre quite welcome to sit in my garden for a few hours, (at least we kinda know each other) then a car journey home in the same carrier may be enough.

Good luck and just let me know if you need my help, just ask.:D

I think I've made some progress thanks to your advice!

I had a day off work so set up the bathroom for a bonding session and positioned myself on top of the laundry bin for a good hour with a camera!

There was a bit of scrapping but not as much as I expected. Daisy is happy to be the submissive one and whenever she went up to Harvey she presented herself to him with her head lowered. There was a bit of rabbit lovin' too - Harvey went at her from all angles, even sideways (!), but kept sliding off and them stamped to show his frustration! The most encouraging part was seeing them lying down at the same time and gradually sidling closer to each other as they became more confident. At one point them were side by side until Harvey freaked out as if he'd forgotten she was there.

Problem is I think I tried to run before I could walk and gave them a break for a few hours and them let them both loose in the living room. They lay together at first but them Daisy started sniffing him all over and decided she wanted a bit of rabbit action too and mounted him. Harvey wasn't having any of this so they had a big scrap and I had to separate them.

I think they could become friends but I need to persist with bonding in the bathroom and not get too carried away next time.

Thanks for the offer Donna, I might take you up on it if the fighting continues!

I'll upload some photos later :)

Back