• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm shaking!

donna-arc

Mama Doe
I was in the park this afternoon when one of my dogs came up to me with a dead rabbit in her mouth.
I took it from her and then realised it wasn't dead at all! It obviously had myxomatosis as it's eyes and genitals were all swollen and it could not walk (my dog had help it very gently and not injured it in any way).

I screamed when I realised it was alive and then panic set in. What was I going to do with it? If I left it it would have suffer pain and fear for god knows how long. If I took it the surgery to be put to sleep it would be terrified - the walk back to the car alone would have taken an hour.

My fella was with me. He grew up on a farm and obviously knows how to kill things. He is now well and truely a towny and this sort of thing has no place in his life - but I asked him to put the poor little thing out of it's misery. Which he did. I didn't watch but it was dead in a second. I am so grateful to him for doing this as the alternatives were unbearable for the rabbit.
I'm ashamed to say that I wouldn't have been able to do it myself (even though I assist with euthanasia every day at work) this was too personal, too physical and my cowardice would have resulted in further suffering.:cry:

Last edited:
awww how terrible..... wow @ your dog for finding and bringing a suffering rabbit to you... and yaaay for your fella.... i too would not have been able to put it out of its misery and nor would my o/h..... hope you have a nice stiff whiskey to help settle your nerves xxx

Don't know what to say. That must have been awful. At least you were able to put it out of it's misery. :(

awwww hun! my dad did that with our rabbit when we kids. our vet was closed due to 'unforseen cirumstances' and wouldnt be open 4 a week ans sods law our car was int he garage, we only had one car cus we didnt have as much muny then. My dad knew it would be days before he could be got to a vet so my dad did it, quickly and painless, but he saved my boy from being in agony for up to a week. i was only 8 so my dad told me he went to the vet so i wouldnt get upset, he told me a few months ago, at first i was mad, but then i realsied he saved him from being in pain.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Awww how sad. I ask Phil to put wildlife out of its misery for me but I did once have to send a baby squirrel on its way.

I felt awful afterwards. :(

Thank you every one. Although I know in my heart we did the right thing, it's so comforting to know that you fellow bunny lovers think so too. x

Aw how terrible for you, its obvious your dog knew this poor wee thing needed helped to the bridge, and your husband done the right thing. Atleast its out of pain now :cry: :cry: very sad :cry: :cry: R.I.P wee bunnie xx

Thank you every one. Although I know in my heart we did the right thing, it's so comforting to know that you fellow bunny lovers think so too. x

The option of not doing what was done, would have created far greater suffering in the long run.

Whilst some people may condone this, I strongly believe that this option is the best option and the more pleasant option for the poor animal at the time.

the poor mite was probably suffering terribly and there is no guarentee that if you had taken it to the vets is might not had died of fright on the way, which would have been much worse. You did the right thing.

Well done, poor bunny, you did the right thing. I know i would not have been able to do it myself, I have seen a few buns out riding and TBH they could have done with being put out of their misery... but i'm not a vet nor a farmer!

It's good you were able to help the poor little soul xxx

That bunny was lucky enough to be found by the 3 of you and his/her suffering was ended. You totally did the right thing. I had to do it myself to a myxi bun on the IOW that was living under the caravan we stayed in. Its horrible to have to do but must be done for the sake of the bun :(

Oh gosh what a situation, it all just sounds so surreal, especially the fact that your dog brought it to you unharmed! What an amazing dog you have.

I honestly am not sure if I could do a thing like that, probably not I suspect. Well done your OH, what a brave man.

Aw, it was the best thing to do, end it's suffering in a painless second. But, I also couldn't do it myself...I would have to ask someone else to do it.

Back