• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

myxi outbreak!!!!!!!

kimd6200

Banned
oh my god!spoke to my neighbour and his rabbit has died from myxi!hes taken hois remaining rabbit to get vaccinated tonight.took thumper straight away and got his vaccinted.had to use my savings but his life is more important.just hope im not too late.whata re the chances of his othr rabbit surviving?shared same hutch?xx:cry:

As long as they didn't get bitten by the same Mozzy then they should be fine. Caramel shared with 2 others and they both got it and died. I then got her vaccinated and later on she contracted nodular myxi but this was a separate incident. Wishing all the bunsters well! x

thanks.i dont know if it matters but they were constantly mating.can it be caught be fluid contact or is it just by gettin bitten?hope all dont get it.esp my thumper.xxx

OMG hope they are all neutured... I think there is a small small chance that it can be contracted by fluid.... not sure about sexual fluid though :shock:

no they aint!!!!i have told them to get them neutered but fell on deaf ears.posted bout them before.hes abit of a drinker.x

Oh my god poor bunnies... any chance of calling the RSPCA... although calling a dead gnat might do more good :roll:

Oh my god poor bunnies... any chance of calling the RSPCA... although calling a dead gnat might do more good :roll:

dont think they'd do much - not for not vaccinating as that is up to the owner, only if they werent being cared for properly as in no food etc

the incubation period for myxi is about 2 weeks I think so this bun probs had it 2 wks ago, jst keep an eye out for symptoms showing, fingers crossed for you I hope its all ok, ur bun will hav 2 b bitten by a flea carrying myxi which may or may not have come from next doors bun, if its on the go in ur area anyway there's no way of saying
xxx

dont think they'd do much - not for not vaccinating as that is up to the owner, only if they werent being cared for properly as in no food etc

the incubation period for myxi is about 2 weeks I think so this bun probs had it 2 wks ago, jst keep an eye out for symptoms showing, fingers crossed for you I hope its all ok, ur bun will hav 2 b bitten by a flea carrying myxi which may or may not have come from next doors bun, if its on the go in ur area anyway there's no way of saying
xxx

Surely if they are being allowed to breed with no attempts to stop them, he is pretty soon going to be over populated and the RSPCA would pay attention then?

ahh sorry i didnt read right thought was just cuz they werent vaccinated, theyd probs call round and give him advice on neutering, unless buns were in a bad way

Back