• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Argh can't believe pets at home are so stupid

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
:censored:

Actually why am I even surprised :roll:

Went in to my local one last week, baby giant cross breeds, labelled as Dwarf Lops, clearly young giants, massive body and huge ears :roll:

Mentioned it to an assistant :roll: Fat lot of good that did, told they weren't giants and not to be so stupid, clearly were Dwarf Lops :? :evil:

Wrote a strongly worded letter to their manager and sent a copy to head office, dropped in yesterday only to find all but one of the giant crosses gone.

The last one was in the 'adoption' centre because it's owners couldn't look after him anymore :roll:

Someone obviously had a 'word' and quickly transferred him across to the 'adoption' centre.

The reason I know it was one that had been on sale as a dwarf lop, he had the same mole on his ear and the patches of fur missing on his leg.

And to think this is the company I went for a job interview with :? :roll:

Anyone wonder why we're so pessimistic about this company? :lol:

I can believe they are so stupid!!... I now refuse to go there, in fact I refuse to go to any petshop selling animals unless its a dire emergency

I saw a rabbit there with clearly very upright ears labelled as a "dwarf lop". I think that is just their standard for any rabbit that comes in :roll:

But surely someone must be able to tell a giant from a dwarf lop? :? Maybe the lack of lopping ears!?!??! I mean even I could tell the difference :lol:

There are actually some young lops that don't have loped ears. But they should have fallen by the age of 8 weeks, but there are the occasional ones born with "bad" ears that haven't fallen, particularly if it is cold where they grow up.
Some breeders actually massage their ears to make them fall quicker.
I have seen mislabeled rabbits in the pet shop before, but assumed the label may just have been put there when there was another breed in the cage, as occasionally different breeds are put together. (With guinea pigs....there's only one pet shop I've seen so far where those two aren't mixed:? )

To be honest, I don't think i'd be able to tell the difference between an adult dwarf lop and a baby giant cross :lol:

What's the difference?

I've seen quite a few examples of lop dwarves lacking the lop-ears, also with pet shop rabbits you're never certain they are 100% purebred, (unless they have pedigrees)
We've had quite a few youngsters at school, both parents have lop-ears, the kits turn out like this:
Halvlop.jpg

Very typical look for a young lop:lol: This one's 2-3 months I think, maybe older. The ears eventually dropped.
Halvlop2.jpg

His litter-mate. This one's almost full grown, usually he has loped ears but one suddenly flew up in the ear on a trip outside. Must have heard something interesting.
Tokaninunger.jpg

Yes, this is a lop dwarf. Probably around 4 weeks or possibly younger or older. It too got it's mother's ears later in life.
Motheranddaugther.jpg

Just to show the other option: a lop-rex mix. The lop is the mother as you can see. We're not sure who the father is but we THINK it's a dalmatian rex, due to the spots on her ears. She never got lop ears. (And as you can see she's rather big compared to her mother...not much older than 2 months) Coincidentally the lop in this picture is the mother of all the babies shown above. 3 out of her 4 litters were accidental.. twice we had no idea she was even pregnant. Very productive little girl:lol:
Snrosa0.jpg

And just an example of a bad show-quality lop. Ears sticking out to both sides:lol: But oh well, she's charming all the same:D

Last edited:
4th photo, is the one on the right a giant? :D She looks huuuge!

Maybe... I think it's a rex, but she could also be part checkered giant now that you mention it :lol: (We've got a Checkered buck at school too... but her ears resemble the one of our rex bucks) It's most definitely 50% lop dwarf though. Or I'd wonder how the heck the infant got into Patches' cage:lol:

the pets at home beside me was definately selling a giant. They sold it to a lady for £130. Definately a giant! this is really worrying. Is this whats going to happen next. Thousands of rescue giants when people decide they are "too big" :cry:

My friend's boyfriend's brother got a rabbit from P@H. He was told it was a dwarf lop (do they only know this breed?) and it was female, and would suitably live in an indoor cage and would only live for 2 years. I went to visit... Millie was male, uppy eared ?! , looked like a french lop x NZW in harlequin markings and weighed in at 5kilos. :rolleyes:

one of the pets at home near me was selling a giant as a house rabbit which is very funny considering it had never been in a house in its life there was no litter tray so how on earth was it house trained:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: and i personaly know the breeder for pets at home from the show ring and he has a very very bad repuation!!!!!!:evil: :evil: :evil:

My Biscuit is a P@H bunny. I'm still doubting wether she is a dwarf lop. She's quite big. The lady was really good with us when we bought her though. She told us that she needed a really big hutch 'coz dwarf lops are quite big, and estimated her full grown size, but Biscuit's bigger than that.

Out P@H are selling German lops at £79. They had 2 beautiful black & white butterfly marked. I loved them so much. I'd always stand next to them and wish that I could take them home. They'd lay next to each other and groom each other. So sweet. I always hoped that they'd do the right thing and sell them as a pair. Last time I went someone was interested in buying them, well, I hope it was them, and not one. But the assistant was holding one like a baby :shock: It seemed oddly relaxed though. It was a family buying them, but they had young children. I really hope, that if they haven't already, they end up in a good home

Gawd. I'm glad Norwegian pet stores don't sell giant rabbits.:?
The only case I've heard of was one pet shop deciding to take in a litter of french lop "for fun". They were sold to a farm.
Otherwise my local shops only sell netherland dwarves, lop dwarves and lionheads, occasionally rexes...or mixes of all of the above.:roll: Of course some lop "dwarves" might get HUGE but I think that may also come from bad breeding rather than mix breeding. (Breed many large lop dwarves in several generations and you'll start noticing the kits just keeps getting bigger)

one of the pets at home near me was selling a giant as a house rabbit which is very funny considering it had never been in a house in its life there was no litter tray so how on earth was it house trained:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Since when does a rabbit need to be house trained to live in a house? :rolleyes: Surely the training comes once it's moved in?

I'd very much like FTWA to work at my local one :)

Ours has been selling the giants since they opened and they seem to be selling fairly well :?

Back