• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boisterous Bun

Kate&Charlie

Young Bun
We have a rabbit (He's my brothers actually) and he really energetic. We get him out in to the run as often as possible, but he just runs back and forth in his hutch. A real problem is feeding him, he's so fast, that as soon as the dor's open he's right there, when you try to put the food in he bites you, I often end up putting his food in a pile because I can't get to his bowl in time.
Any Suggestions?

I have the same problem with Bella - if I put her bowl in I'm likely to lose my hand as she just lunges and grabs. :roll: I throw a bit of food in at the other end of her cage, and while she's scrabbling to get that, I quickly put her bowl down. :lol:

Rebec :)

Well he may just be getting excited about food time but he also might need more exercise/stimulation :) Is his hutch attached to a run, or if not how much time does he spend out of his hutch?

What are you feeding him and how much? Dry food is concentrated so too much and not enough exercise could make him more hyper too.

Tamsin

Oh I see, thanks.

No his hutch isn't attached to a run because our garden is too small. He goes out more than the other four. But none of them get out enough because we're all out all day and we fon't like leaving them, or putting them out in rain.

Rabbits usually cope fine with rain. Their coats are quite water proof so although they look soggy on top the undercoat/skin stays dry.

If you are worried though about fixing some plastic over the run, you can get corrugated sheets like these: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showpost.php?p=2083868&postcount=8 or just use a tarp weighed with bricks or pegged down.

Are all your rabbits seperate? Pairing them up so they live exercise together would be another way to increase the time each got out.

A run needs to be secure, so if it's on grass, mesh the floor. Make sure it has a lid. And provide a shelter for them to hide/shelter in if they want.

Rabbits are designed to move about a fair amount so if they don't get enough exercise you can end up with various issues.

Tamsin

Back