• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snotty nose/Raspy breathing

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
Okay, Jen still has a snotty nose & on and off raspy breathing. It sounds more nasel than chesty, though when she first had it the vet said her chest was rattly. None of her symptoms responded to baytril. Thing is we arent sure whats wrong...Vet doesnt thing its pasturella because its not severe enough, sometimes her nose is just a bit damp, other times theres a fair amount of clear liquid. Her breathing is only really bad when she eats. She then suspected allergies - We got rid of all bedding except the dust free hay, and still no change. Wondering what do I do now? Somehow doesnt feel right leaving it :? Xx

Has the Vet taken a deep nasal swab to see what bugs are grown and thereby identify a more appropriate abx?

Has a Skull Xray been taken? Overgrown tooth roots can penetrate the nasal cavity and cause a chronic runny nose.

Janex

Has the Vet taken a deep nasal swab to see what bugs are grown and thereby identify a more appropriate abx?

Has a Skull Xray been taken? Overgrown tooth roots can penetrate the nasal cavity and cause a chronic runny nose.

Janex

I wouldnt call in chronic tbh :? Have spoken to Zoey about a nasal swab & dont think shes overly keen. Will mention both of these to her though - Thanks Jane :) xX

Santa's snuffles doesn't respond to baytril any more but it does respond brilliantly to terramycin/engemycin - I wonder if it's worth asking to try a different antibiotic before ruling out an infection? Also worth asking about bisolvon - whatever the cause, bisolvon thins the mucus so makes it easier for the nose to drain and hence for the bun to breathe. I use this regularly for Santa, she is quite good at taking it directly from a syringe or you can squish it onto a little piece of apple/carrot etc.

Hi Becki sounds like you are in the same boat as me. Caramel is on Bisolvon, might be worth asking for some. Its so hard to know what to suggest. Nosey rubs for Jen and a hug for you xxxxxx

Thanks Guys, Alison will ask about all of those meds. It just suddenly came on one day so it has to be something. Tbh Jen seems pretty much immune to baytril as she's had various ailments recently and its not touched any of them :? Xx

These bunnies ey.. I dunno... poor Jen.. How are things with her and Rhia?

Well I thought it'd settled down but Rhias fur in the hutch says otherwise :roll: Going to split them whilst Rhi's speyed, just not worth it. It'll upset her so much 'cos she loves jen, but Jen is feisty with her at the best of times. Supervised playtime I think we'll have to try. Streeeeess!!!! :shock:

Back