• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stethoscopes and Opthalmoscopes & Octoscopes

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Can you actually buy these anywhere?

I am most interested in an octoscope (the one that goes in the mouth, is that the right name?) as I would like to be able to check Fivers teeth myself now I know what to look for so that I can get his dentals done before he starts loosing weight.

Does anyone else have their own?

Last edited:
Opthalmascopes are just for eyes and expensive. Otoscopes are for ears but also used for seeing bunny teeth.... I'm trying to buy one at the mo with a metal tip as they chew the plastic (so you need a few ends) but the metal ones are pricey. I also have a nurses stethoscope which was really cheap, about £5.

what a good idea ;)

just looked at that link ....never knew there were so many different sorts of stethescopes :shock: :shock:

We've just got a stethoscope, was really lucky and got it for £2 from an ex nurse that was going to give it to charity :)

Well, my £15.99 vet otoscope arrived in 2 days. I was a bit disappointed to discover that I couldnt get the head on the handle though, so I emailed the seller, who apologised and said he would get a replacement in the post straight away (without waiting for the return). My replacement arrived the next day which I was really pleased about and even more pleased by the fact that it works!

I've just had a good look at my most willing foster buns teeth.... wow its complex in there and obvious to see how they can so easily get spurs. I was very careful and put the probe down the cheek side, not the tongue side, as you have to be extra careful with the long attachments, but they have the added bonus of being good for seeing into the ear canals.

So all in all, for £19.99 (including postage) I think its great value and I cant fault the service of the seller. The quality isnt amazingly but its good enough and it does the job and for that price you cant really complain.

I've also ordered a more expensive pocket otoscope, to check my childrens ears, as one suffers from recurrent infections. This hasnt arrived yet but it'll be interesting to see how they differ, but I definately recommend this one, for value for money.:D

Back