• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

3 legged bunny

Mireille

Warren Scout
The story of this little bunnie starts a couple of weeks ago.
A farmer bought a female giant on a market.
He wanted youngsters so after two weeks he bought a male giant.
After they almost been together for 2 weeks he seperated them.
The next day she started bilding a nest.
He thought she was faking pregnantsy, but she was far from that.
The day on the market she was in a crate with a male.
And exactly 31 days after that she gave birth.
I now the men and i come there often when i am walking with the dogs, so after a week i came there and he told me the story.
I said have you checked the nest?
No they would come out someday.
But nowing that giants can give big nest wich can end in some dead youngsters i checked the nest for him.
In total she had 11 healthy babies.
Nowing such big nest can ask much from mum i kept my i on them.
When they were about 3 weeks old i saw the smallest one walk weard and his head diddn't look right.
Taking a closer look showed he was missing one ear, and he was walking funny because he mist a hind leg.
It looks like his mother went to far cleaning him after birth
Sinds the men wouldn't be able to sell such an animal he would let him grow until cristmas and slaugther him then.
I think that if you let an animal get so far, you have to atleast give him a chanche.
Sow when he is old enough he will come to me.

I now that he will grow to 6 kilo or something like that so the qeustion is, can he bare his weight on one hind leg???
I hope so by giving him enough exercise to grow mussle.
Has enyone got any experience with 3 legged bunnies???

here some pics of the little men now just 4 weeks old

71029vlaam18a.jpg

71029vlaam01a.jpg

71029vlaam08a.jpg

71029vlaam12a.jpg

71029vlaam09b.jpg

71029vlaam13a.jpg

71029vlaam16a.jpg

He can run now like any other young bunnie, he dousn't fall over anymore.
I havent given him a name yet, i am out of inspiration.
But if he can make it to a full grown bunnie he will stay here forever

A giant rabbit is still in proportion (bigger body = bigger feet) so I would think it should cope like a normal size rabbit on three legs i.e. fine. You'd need to monitor it's weight carefully to keep it trim and watch out for sore hocks.

Tam

Hopper Haven has several buns with deformed or missing limbs (see Secret Santa in the Fundraising thread)
They cope really well, but as Tamsin said you will just need to be extra vigilant with his stump to ensure it doesn't get sore and infected.
So glad you have taken him on......I dread to think what may happen to the others:cry:

I have a 3 legged rabbit, but he is only small (probably less than 2kg).

He manages to hop around fine, but can't walk on smooth tiled floors.

3 legged rabbits sometimes need their ear cleaning out on the side with the missing leg, otherwise they can get ear infections.

I don't know how a giant would cope with 3 legs. :( I would definitely think it's best to keep him slim and active, so a good diet and lots of exercise will be needed.

Good Luck :thumb:

A good dieet is indied needed and i will watch him carefully.
But for overweight i am not scared.
Non of my 26 rabbits are overweight there al in top condition.
He will live in a hutch where i put a special bottem in for more grip.
About half a day he can walk in a large run, the other half of the day my french lop will walk there.

The missing leg is on the same side of the missing ear, but i will keep a close look at both.
I really hope that he can cope, i've just fallen in love with him.
I sat in the stable today with him for half an ourer, just watching him hop and run

Aw poor thing (though he probably doesn't mind, as he hasn't known of another life...)
Now nothing about three-legged buns though so I can't help you there.

He is a cheeckie little man and growing fast.
Today i took a good look at his non existing ear.
He got still a little bit of ear left, but what amazed me that his complete ear hole was shut.
There was no entry to be found, it was clearly grown shut, there was some scarring.
Wil this cause a problem in the future, because the earmuck cant get out?

No it's really the skin that is grown over it.

My vets are not very helpfull
Every single one i contacted in the aria have never seen a rabbith without a leg or ear, so they al want me to come in but also say, whe aren't much of a use for you because whe have no experience with these kind of things.
And even the rabbit expert i always go's to says that she probably isn't much use to me either

I'm sure he'll have no problem walking. It's not like he has to adapt to it because it's happened young, and not while he's an adult rabbit.
There was a cat across the road from me who had 3 legs. He was fine, he could jump higher than my cats, and even surprised us all by coming in our house via my brother's bedroom window! :lol: Tim (the cat) died when he was 17, and the last 2 years of his life, he had a bad limp where he'd ended up with arthuritus due to the fact he only had 3 legs.

I hope you have a happy life with your new 3 legged friend :)

Back