• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Friend tells me off about my bunnies!!!

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
As most of you know, I wrote a thread about my friend who wanted a bunny.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=102806

I decided to let it lie about her getting a bunny and that. But today, she came round my house and it was cold outside. She didn't wear her coat or her shoes outside, I mean, what do you expect?! and she said to me about how I should feed them and how they need more water in their hutch(it was empty but they weren't in there at the time and I was going to fill it for the night!), and how they feel and react to me. I brushed off these comments and then I gave the bunnies their dinner. I was stroking Milly and she was fine and then I stroked Molly, who is a bit more nervous about stroking, and she was telling me how I shouldn't stroke her whilst she's eating and I shouldn't stroke her there. :shock: :x I was getting really annoyed at this point. I start to clean the hutch out and she says, I'm not touching that, it's digusting and all this rubbish. I accidently dropped some hay on her foot(which had a sock on) and she was like, I don't want my trousers to get dirty. I asked her if she still wanted a bunny, and she was like I'm saving up for it and said nothing more about it. When I picked up Milly to put her back in her hutch, I allowed her to stroke her whilst I held her, and Milly jumped out her skin. She said that it was because there was another hand there and the such. My parents stroke and she's fine with that. I think she startled her because she came from behind and she sort of tickled her, and wasn't firm and she was quite nervous. I then finished everything up for the night, and she's like hurry up, it's cold. I mean, if you wear no coat or shoes at the end of October, what do you expect?!?!?

I mean, what is she going to be like with her own? I'm not going to go round there every night to clean out the rabbits and pick them up and hold them and the like. I was very annoyed at her comments and irritated at her "I'm cold" and "I don't want to get dirty"!!!!! Sorry for such a rant. Needed to get it out of my system. Is there anything I can do? Is there anything I can say?

Last edited:
doesn't sound like she should have one she got more to come when she get her own, the chewed tops, fur all over your clothes what takes ages to come off,that smelly scent un-neutered buns give off,why don't you let her have your's for a week :lol: by the sounds of it she'll soon change her mind

I don't know what to do. As in my other thread, I was asking for suggestions but I think she's having bunnies one way or the other. The way she acted today was terrible for a future bunny owner. I expected more from her. I sort of prompted her to clean out the hutch, and she was like no, I ain't doing that, it's dirty. I'm really scared they are going to be landed on me and my parents won't like that.

I'd encourage her to come around more often at cleaning time, so hopefully she'll start to realise what she will have to do on a regular basis if she get's any buns.
And start dropping large hints like "I love my rabbits, but my dad has said I definately can't have any more" so she doesn't think of you as her "get-out" clause.

what the comments? Maybe... But there's nothing I can do about that. The things about not cleaning though is just laziness.

but maybe its because there not hers? i mean if i went to my friends with the feeling that she expected me 2 help clean out her pes i wouldnt be happy. However, i wouldnt have a problem cleaning out my own. she may have felt you were trying to 'test her'.....? if u kno what i mean

xxxxxx

yeah. I know what you mean. Actually, thinking about it like that, I wouldn't clean them out either for someone else. But the comments and thinking she's Miss Know It All were uncalled for.

yeh ur right about that. that was uncalled for, but about the cleaning out i reckon thats what it was about. xxxx

Hopefully by the time she has enough money to get her buns she will bored with the idea and have something else to spend the money on.

I think you've created a monster, hehe. The whole miss know-it-all side of things, anyway... Obviously she HAS been doing her research if she has opinions on how a rabbit should be approached and stuff, which is a good thing... Just not when you find it offensive. Which I can understand, but I doubt she's being deliberately horrible. She might just have been trying to prove to you that she knows things about rabbits now, too.

In regards to the not wanting to clean them out thing... I'd be completely lying if I said I had never been one to respond with an 'ew!' reaction. Especially with my first rabbit. When I'm cleaning the bunnies out now and soggy bedding falls on me I sometimes still wince, though it doesn't really bother me anymore... But yeah, I used to have to take breaks and tell myself to stop being a wimp in the past.

The good thing is that she is not rushing into getting rabbits of her own. I'd be way more concerned if, after seeing yours and falling for the cute factor - something three of my own friends did, with disastrous results - she'd gone and bought the,. If she is saving for them, with any luck she'll forget the idea once the novelty wears off. :)

I can understand the cleaning out comments, my other half always says 'thats gross' and things like that - but if I'm ill he's out there cleaning them for me, he knows it has to be done so he just gets on and does it. (What a star :D) Just because someone says its gross doesn't mean they won't do it.

Yeah. I just find the comments about how I should take care of them offensive. I mean, how would she like it if she had bunnies and I didn't, and I said I should do this like this? And about the water bottle incident, she said I was a bad bunny mother:shock: . I was so close to saying something I would have regret, even if she was saying for a joke, I don't take jokes, and I feel very annoyed at that. The worst thing you can say to a woman is that they are a bad mother, and it's the same with my bunnies. They are like my babies, and I don't like people saying stuff about them and how they feel. I know how they feel!!!!!

Well surely it never should never get to the stage where their water bottle is empty, regardless of if they're in the hutch at the time or not? Unless you had just emptied it and put it back on the cage it presumably means it was empty when you took them out of the hutch - which presumably means they were without water before you took them out of the hutch, however briefly??

It had about 2-3 cms of water left in there at the time, and it does leak. I'm buying a new bottle tomorrow. I change the water and fill it when they go to bed at night, which is about 4 o clock, and it's got about 2-3 cms left in the morning. So, I don't leave them without water on purpose, they just drink lots. They never have a time when there is not a drop in there.

She might be feeling a bit defensive herself... I don't know the situation, but by the sounds of if you've been telling her mostly about the difficult side of keeping rabbits... which she might not find encouraging, and so maybe she's determined to prove she DOES know stuff about them, and is in some way seeking approval, by proving to you she knows this stuff?

Maybe, good point. But I don't like it when it's about my bunnies and me being a bad bunmother. She was talking to me like she was the world's greatest expert and I knew nothing about my bunnies. Just upset me, that's all. I haven't really discouraged her as I haven't got round to it, :lol: (only joking!!), I have just given her a cost sheet. I'm not the sort of person to tell people this and that unless an animal's life is at risk at that time.

Take RWA leaflets and a RSPCA animal cruelty act leaflet found to the parents because as a grown up I am responsible for all living things in this family so they need to know that at the end of the day if some thing is not up to scratch they can be prosecuted, not their daughter.

Make it off the cuff "here are the leaflets the vets gave me when I was thinking about getting a rabbit, I thought you would want to read them before you made the final decision"

And dont forget that parents are nurotic about some things too.

"Yeah mine take loads of looking after but I still just about find time to do my homework most nights"

and "There is loads off pee and poop but Mom does not mind the kitchen being a mess at clean out time".

Sneeky but there you go

Back