• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why does a rabbit not make a good childrens pet?

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
In your own words, Why does a rabbit not make a good childrens pet? Much appreciated if you replied to this folks, even a few words - Trying to write an article :) Thanks Muchly Xx

Children want to pick them up and cuddle them ... and we all know that MOST rabbits prefer to keep 4 feet firmly on the floor! x

*Timid nature/prey animal
*strong back legs & good kick
*prone to scratch & bite out of fear
*afraid of loud noises
*dislike being held & carried
*live 10 years or more.....children grow and get bored
*require considerable care & experience as its hard to tell when they are ill/hide weaknesses
*need to live in pairs
*should only be handled under supervision

Sensitive animals with sometimes subtle body language that children wouldn't be able to read.
Most don't like being picked up, and some like to be fussed on their terms only!
Can give a nasty bite/kick.

Just a few, but the brain isn't working too well this late in the day:lol:

children get sick of the cleaning and up keep of them.

and if its an outdoor rabbit they may not want to go out in winter to care for it

One word Bindi....

....if a child could get near her, she'd do some damage!!!

With her powerful back legs, and her nasty nashers a child doesn't really stand a chance!! (Not to mention how stinky her hutch has been today....serves me right for feeding her banana!! :lol: )

Definitely the subtle body language as BB mommy said.
I think a lot of kids, without adult commitment too, wouldn't quite grasp the importance of a regular timetable and menu as adults would. (sorry that sounds really awkward but i hope you know what I mean)
They are a lot of work in the upkeep of them, morning and evening meals, need to be kept extremely clean.
Signs of Illness often quite subtle too.
Not easy to handle, and often don't like being lifted either.
Often need time and a lot of patience to gain their trust so they are happy to be handled. I don't think many children have the patience needed for that!

Sorry I've prob repeated what everyone has already said!

:wave: I think rabbits do make good family pets, as opposed to children's pets. Agree with all the comments about rabbits being prey animals and not good with being held etc, however I think no animal should be subjected to being handled or solely cared for by a young child. Personally I wouldn't allow my toddler to hold any animal including our rabbits, but I think the rabbits have been a lovely and realistic introduction to having pets. She has learnt that having a pet is: bloody hard work; expensive; selfless; time consuming and ultimately rewarding. She has had an early introduction to animals and their needs and I think this will make her more compassionate and caring in later life. I speak as someone who (rightly or wrongly) from an early age had pet animals and is passionate about animals to this day :D Claire x

:wave: I think rabbits do make good family pets, as opposed to children's pets. Agree with all the comments about rabbits being prey animals and not good with being held etc, however I think no animal should be subjected to being handled or solely cared for by a young child. Personally I wouldn't allow my toddler to hold any animal including our rabbits, but I think the rabbits have been a lovely and realistic introduction to having pets. She has learnt that having a pet is: bloody hard work; expensive; selfless; time consuming and ultimately rewarding. She has had an early introduction to animals and their needs and I think this will make her more compassionate and caring in later life. I speak as someone who (rightly or wrongly) from an early age had pet animals and is passionate about animals to this day :D Claire x

I agree totally. As I have had animals around me my whole life, it has made me really passionate about animals, and learning how to cope with distress and death of a loved one. All animals are excellant family pets, but not children's pets.

Also, I feel children are unfairly penalised / blamed by the 'child's pet' tag. It is the adult parent (>16 years) who purchases the pet and must be ultimately accountable for it's care. No responsible parent of a young child would expect that child to take on the full care of an animal for the duration of it's life. My child will probably help me care for the rabbits on and off throughout their lifespan while I am the one who will care for them 24/7. All I am expecting is for her to learn the valuable lesson that pets require commitment 'for life'. Claire

I dont think rabbits nessacerily dont make good childrens pets. I think IF a parent wants to get a rabbit, the rabbit should be considered a family pet, and their reponsibility, not the childs. The children should be properly educated about the rabbit. My neice is ten and once i explained to her the truth about rabbits she was suprised. She and her mum had one of jellys babies...and he is now a pampered house pet. She learnt not to approach him, to let him come to her etc, and after being round there recently...well her Bunny, Star adores her!

i dont think children should be cut off as unsuitable. I think nothing is text book. i know its about a dog, but we went to battersea dogs home to look for a dog. We liked a little J.R called Puzzles, and bcus he was timid he could only be rehomed to a house with children over 12. My brother was 11. they didnt even CONSIDER us, even thought we have had dogs all our lives....and he was excellent with them. However...someone who was 12 was suitable in their opinion. Im just saying that if you know someone who has children who wants a rabbit...dont cut them off./...give them a chance, they could be great!

I dont think becky is looking to debate the role of an adult as primary carer for a rabbit but rather to compose an artical on why a child cant be primary carer.

I for one am sick of hearing people use pets to teach children responsibility and letting the pet suffer as a result of the childs unwillingness.

I dont think becky is looking to debate the role of an adult as primary carer for a rabbit but rather to compose an artical on why a child cant be primary carer.

I for one am sick of hearing people use pets to teach children responsibility and letting the pet suffer as a result of the childs unwillingness.

Thanks Sooz, Nope definately no debates here please :) The article I'm doing is based on why rabbits dont make suitable pets for children, I know there are exceptions but if I start bringing those into it i'm going to get marked down for not having a proper purpose ;) Xx

A bunny can be a good family pet but no animal in the world should be solely a child's responsibility so buns are no different to any other pet I dont think :)

I totally agree, I too had animals from a very young age and care passionately about them now and I always have (and will!). The thing children need is a responsible knowledgable parent/adult to show them. And thus growing up to respect and love animals.

I don't only think this relates to rabbits but all animals, big and small. xx

Rabbits aren't good pets for children. I wouldn't let my boy have one of his own because:
- He would love it till the next new console game came out he would forget about the bun.
- He turns his nose up at poo and wee and if I told him to clean the hutch out he wouldn't do it properly.
- Rabbits requires a calm quiet atmosphere - children just aren't calm or quiet! lol
- Rabbits need to be cared for every single day. Before School and after. My boy struggles to get to school on time as it is.
- Rabbits are fast moving and easily slip through a youngesters un-coordinated fingers.

Thats why I have a rabbit not my lad. He shows an interest now and then but thats all.

I don't think rabbits make good childrens pets because they don't really understand the difference between a toy, that does exactly what they want and can be put down and left, and an animal that has its own thoughts and ideas about life. Rabbits are cute and fluffy but also have sharp claws, big feet and teeth that can do some damage and they use these as a natural response if they are afraid. Also rabbits have no vocal comunications and so some will nip to be let down and this could hurt the child and possibly cause them to become afraid of the rabbit. Plus beyond the rabbits every day care there needs to be a responsible adult in the relationship for financial and travel purposes.

Plus theres the price- vaccinating, neutering etc etc, making them as almost as expensive as a dog, and the label 'childs pet' makes them seem very cheap and many parents may be unprepared or unwilling to pay for the expenses.

Plus theres the price- vaccinating, neutering etc etc, making them as almost as expensive as a dog, and the label 'childs pet' makes them seem very cheap and many parents may be unprepared or unwilling to pay for the expenses.

exactly what i was just going to write! They can be expensive. In this day and age with what we know about rabbits and their needs, it is very silly to say a 'children's pet' as there is no way a child could afford one!

It's not that a rabbit is particularly a worse pet for children than any other animals associated with the title. It's that a child is by definition unable to provide for their needs without assistance. The problem occur's when parents buy the pet for the child and expect them to assume the responsibility for it with little or no guidance. The popular idea that a rabbit, or any other pet, will teach a child responsibility is down right abserd. Children learn responsibility from their role models (i.e. their parents). Lovely as rabbits are, they are they are hardly good role models.

There are exceptions and age/development varies between children but in general children are emotional, physically and financially unable to provide for a pets needs.

Back