• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unexplained Gut Stasis

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
Hi there,

Betty my lionhead lop was fine yesterday morning, eating well and bouncing around like normal. Most of the day we were in the garage with the bunnies and all was ok. I went to feed them again in the evening and Betty was sprawled out and not interested in food. I brought her inside and felt her tummy, it was really hard and I couldn't hear any gurgles at all.

I took her to the emergency vet and he said her gut had completely stopped. They injected metaclopromide, metacam and I'm giving her some Fibrepex once a day. I've also been given Panacur for all three buns as they said EC could cause stasis for seemingly no reason.

Anyway, I'm wondering what could have caued it (apart from EC)? Betty has a good steady diet of veg and plenty of hay with a few pellets. The only stress that I can think she had was that I trimmed her hair the day before and shes not too keen on that.

I'm worried now in case this might happen again so what can I do to reduce the chances apart from what I'm doing already?

Thanks,

Gemma

Gosh, there are so many things:

Stress
Injesting fur/foreign bodies
Damp, overly cold or moldy food/veg/hay
Gastric ulceration
Coccidiosis
Tooth issues
Enteritis
Secondary to pain elsewhere
Infection

Im sure there are a fair few more reasons too.

Gosh, there are so many things:

Stress
Injesting fur/foreign bodies
Damp, overly cold or moldy food/veg/hay
Gastric ulceration
Coccidiosis
Tooth issues
Enteritis
Secondary to pain elsewhere
Infection

Im sure there are a fair few more reasons too.

Thanks Sooz22. I did think about her fur causing some kind of blockage because one of them has been passing strung together poos. I'm going to get some pineapple tablets to take care of that and will make sure I brush them all more often.

I doubt the food could be off or anything because I buy it all fresh, its kept in our fridge and the hay is kept dry.

Her teeth are fine as far as I know, the vet couldn't see a problem either yesterday.

I don't think it'll be an infection either as her temp was on the low side yesterday. I think it would have been high if she had an infection??

I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out and see what happens over the next few days / weeks. Hopefully it was a one off and she's over the worst of it. :?

Gemma

A similar things happened to my Flopsy yesterday! Today she is totally fine and eating perfectly. It's very strange isn't it?!

It is odd, I really couldn't think of anything that I'd done differently apart from give Betty a hair cut!!

I've just sat with them for an hour and shes eating hay and back to jumping about so I guess shes over it now.

I hope Flopsy is ok now!

Yup - Squirrel on saturday, limp rag just lying there. One vet trip and two days later right as rain - what caused it I have no idea - just one of those things I think.

Back