• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lift by the scruff?

You should never lift a bunny by the scruff of its neck. I read the text and it does seem to be saying you should life the rabbit by it's scruff, but that is very bad advice.

Rabbits shouldn't be lifted by the scruff without support underneath and to be honest I don't personally think they should be lifted that way unless absolutely necessary. My vet sometimes holds them by the scruff to help keep a wriggler still under her arm if she's checking teeth but I went to one vet and he picked my rabbit up by the scruff and swung him upside down by it. I managed to get my hand under him as soon as I realised what he was doing and then had an absolute fit!!

It doesn't work for buns as thats not how mummy buns move their babies. the reason it works in cats is that the mummy cat may need to move her kittens to safety so picking them up by the scruff is the way they evolved to do it. Rabbits don't have the physiology (or psychology) for that to be safe or healthy.

It doesn't work for buns as thats not how mummy buns move their babies. the reason it works in cats is that the mummy cat may need to move her kittens to safety so picking them up by the scruff is the way they evolved to do it. Rabbits don't have the physiology (or psychology) for that to be safe or healthy.

God your bun looks like topaz:D

I've seen people pick rabbits up by the scruff and it's cruel. Rabbits shouldn't be picked up like that. The bunny isn't happy and I think it can make nervous rabbits more apprehensive about being picked up in the normal manner.

I agree that it is not a kind way to pick up a bun, I cans ee that it may be used in an emergency but never using the scruff alone to take their weight.'

Please can all those that agree that it is cruel see the post I made in the welfare section and send a short email to the National Geographic site asking them to remove the offending article, you'll see what I mean when you see my post. Many thanks! :D

Back