• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rough idea on homechecks

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
ok il admit i am absolutly petrified of having a homecheck hense why im so scared to put in for Lily in RIN and i was just wondering what would a homechecker look for, for a house rabbit? for examaple size of cage/crate? will they look to see if the house is bunny proofed?

i have a 48" dog crate which is set up in my bedroom problem is my bedroom isnt bunny proofed :? if im honest i wouldnt know how to bunny proof a bedroom without having my tv, cd player, dvd player and ps2 took out my bedroom lol

if the bun is going to live in my bedroom with a neutered boy bunny will the homechecker judge the rest of my house even though the buns probably wont ever see the other parts of the house as they will be having exercise in my room?

and what other things will a homechecker look for apart from housing and exercise area?

If I was coming I would want to know where they will excercise safely and for how long. That's a great sized crate for a pair of rabbits, but I wouldn't want them shut in that all day.
Could you attatch a pen to it so they can exercise safely? Perhaps you could get some of that hard plastic tubing to wrap round any wires to make them safe so they could have free-range time? Is there anything else in your room that would be a danger?
The rest of the house would be irrelevant unless you plan for them to use any of it.
Other things to discuss might be any other pets you have, how much time you will be at home with them, who else lives in the house (any small children etc). Also general chat about diet, vets, where they would go if you went away etc:D

if we were homechecking you we would want to know how many hours a day your buns would get out of their cage . if it was only a couple of hrs you would need to attach a pen to give them more room .
wires would need to be out of reach to prevent danger when plugged in .

other than that it would be a matter of advising on vaccs , food , etc and making sure there was no danger from other pets.:D

if the bun is going to live in my bedroom with a neutered boy bunny will the homechecker judge the rest of my house even though the buns probably wont ever see the other parts of the house as they will be having exercise in my room?

and what other things will a homechecker look for apart from housing and exercise area?

:lol: :lol: I did a homecheck for someone on here - no names mentioned - and they double checked I wouldn't want to check the bedroom!! :lol: Where the rabbit won't be is not of interest to me when doing a homecheck, the check is for the rabbits living accomodation not your personal tidiness! :D

Other things that might be asked on a homecheck will usually be about your present bun - are they vax'd and up to date, what food do you give them, do they get plenty of hay, do you have provision for them if you go on holiday - stuff like that

Back