• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where do your buns eat hay from?

Miloe's_Mum

Alpha Buck
Just curious and looking for new ideas......Miloe isnt keen on eating hay from hayracks although we have a few around the house, he has meadow hay in his litter tray but he doesnt eat it - just uses it as the toilet, so i have a large tubtrug which i fill with different kinds of hay and he sits in there, eats that hay but still wees and poos in there :?

I find with baskets he tips them up and then wont eat hay off the floor! :roll:

Fae however loves her hay from the hay experts basket and she usually finshes all the hay in there...and will eat it from the floor if it spills out!

They are going to be living with eachother soon so i'm really just looking for ideas for how other people feed their buns hay?

Mine have a hay rack. I tried to put hay in a big tray for them on their cage floor (as well as their litter tray) and they thought, yeah mum's put a new toilet in here :roll:
So now i re fill their hay rack about three times a day!

I've noticed that when I put a new handful of hay in it gets pounced on, but shortly it gets treated like it's bedding/litter and not food. I'm not sure why that is but perhaps feeding small quantities more frequently would help (no so little he is ever without). I'd be interested to know if it worked :)

Tam

I've noticed that when I put a new handful of hay in it gets pounced on, but shortly it gets treated like it's bedding/litter and not food. I'm not sure why that is but perhaps feeding small quantities more frequently would help (no so little he is ever without). I'd be interested to know if it worked :)

Tam

Thanks Tamsin, thats a good idea. He's so fussy and wont eat meadow hay, it has to be oat hay or expensive timothy! Will try the small amounts idea.........

Chester was bad at eating hay so I chopped up a small amount of his fav veg wrapped it in hay and stuffed it in a toilet roll inner. He had great fun trying to pull the hay out and he had to eat it to get to the veg!

its rare when i see Crystal eat hay, but when she does its normally out of her litterbox :? she eats lots of grass though.

Misty eats hay anywhere maily out of his bed.

I have cardboard boxes in every room that the buns have access to. They like to sit in them and eat the hay and destroy some of the boxes, though some are still intact. They do use them as a toilet as well but I don't mind - when they're out of their cages they only wee in the litter tray in the bathroom, but poo in any of the hay boxes.

They also have a litter tray in the bathroom which has hay in and both sit in there munching away and pooing.

Rebec :)

Tam

same here, although I find putting it in a bowl helps a little as once it goes on the floor they wont touch it after an hour. I also have a wheel filled with hay attached to the side of the carboard house. i don't know if it's eaten or chucked out but it is certainly gone in the morning.

I pinched an idea from someone else here and use a 59p plastic basket from Wilkinsons (bathroom section). It has holes in it and a metal handle that detaches and can be hooked around the cage wire. Brilliant. Sorry haven't got a picture.

Thanks to whoever it was that posted the tip. :D

i get my hay from the horse stables but now i have to find elsewhere as she got mites from the hay the vet told me not to get hay off a farm

Tam

I've noticed that, so mine get a smaller bundle twice a day in their litter trays (which are huge storage boxes or 2' piggie cage bottoms)

Back