• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental now or wait as long as possible??

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
I've just got back from the vet - Evo has some spurs again. :( He is still eating hay and oats but not pellets. Should I book him in for his dental now, or leave it as long as possible??

Vet couldn't see any sore bits when she looked, but that doesn't mean his mouth isn't sore. :?

Sooo, should I book him in for his dental now, or leave it as long as possible?? Vet wants to leave it because of the GA risk, but I'm wondering whether to tell a little white lie and say he's stopped eating altogether and get him booked in for tomorrow, before he stops eating all thogether? :?

Is there a particular reason for the worry over the GA risk? Is there a reason the vet thinks waiting will lesson the risk?

In my opinion, if you're noticing changes to his eating habits that indicates he's feeling some changes in his mouth. When a rabbit stops eating then there gut is already having issues so not a great time to add an op. If you can catch it before eating is an issue then I would think that recovery time after an op would be better.

Tam

Is there a particular reason for the worry over the GA risk? Is there a reason the vet thinks waiting will lesson the risk?

Just the frequency that he's having the GAs I think. The last was 2 1/2 months ago and the one before was 2 months.

I have a dental bun and she used to have them done every four weeks (without the GA tho) I used to leave it as long as possible and gauge it by her eating habits; she would seem less keen to eat after about four weeks but she's got a lot better over time and I can leave it up to three months now. If I was you I would leave it as long as possible as long as she appears to be happy and not in any pain as each GA does carry a risk and if you can cause her to have fewer I think it would benefit her.

My vet told me they prefer to leave it as long as possible between dentals because the very act of burring the teeth can make them wear unevenly and could long term make the problem worse if you see what I mean.

Although if his eating is slowing that suggests he's got a problem already :?

Although if his eating is slowing that suggests he's got a problem already :?

That's what I thought, he gets all excited about the food and goes to it, but won't eat it, which makes me think that his mouth is hurting him, even though the vet can't see sore bits.

I guess putting him through the GA a few days earlier than might be necessary is counteracted by the fact that his tummy won't have slowed down as much. :? It's booked for tomorrow, but I still have time to cancel.

If he is having problems now then I would get them sorted before he stops eating altogether.

I dont think its fair to leave him feeling uncomfortable, for me quality of life is more important than quantity.

Do you really trust your Vet (and therefore be reluctant to upset him/her) or could you look for one that carries out conscious dentals?

Do you really trust your Vet (and therefore be reluctant to upset him/her) or could you look for one that carries out conscious dentals?

This is the only vet in my town, there is one small one in the next town. Might be worth ringing around for future reference though. Will be something I'll have to get on to.

As it is, I think I'll take him in tomorrow. :?

Good luck for tomorrow.

Meanwhile try and find a vet who will do it consious (mine put me on to another vet in the practice as he has to have his done every 3-4 weeks at the moment). Yours might even be able to recommend someone else if you explain your concerns.

Good luck for tomorrow.

Meanwhile try and find a vet who will do it consious (mine put me on to another vet in the practice as he has to have his done every 3-4 weeks at the moment). Yours might even be able to recommend someone else if you explain your concerns.

Thanks. :) That's a very good point about asking my own vet.

I'd defnately get him done as soon as possible. You know yourself how suddenly they can completely stop eating so you could end up with a poorly bunny again. Its so upsetting though isn't it :cry:

I'd defnately get him done as soon as possible. You know yourself how suddenly they can completely stop eating so you could end up with a poorly bunny again. Its so upsetting though isn't it :cry:

Thanks for reassuring me a bit. He is a bit eating today, but certainly not in the starved bunny, climbing the legs way that he normally would be.

good luck today.

My vet does dentals without GA and last time I went for a check up they just whisked him off to check him then in 10 minutes he was back with having had them done. Apart from peeing very pee'd off he was fine and eating as normal when we got home. I think it does make life a whole lot easier.

Back