• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Litter training and bottom grooming

newmum

New Kit
:oops: Well, you know what they say about new mums....

Thomas has been home with us since wednesday and is settling down really well now (I think...)

The only thing is he keeps pooing everywhere! I dont really mind but could do without it! He is two years old and has always been a house rabbit so I thought this wouldn't be an issue. Is this normal 'coz he always wees in the litter box just doesnt seem to be aware of when he poos. Could this be an after effect of the stasis? Or because he hasn't been done? Can I train him? I sweep out the cage in the morning and stick the poos in the litter box (and then change it completely in the evening) to try and show him, but I dont know what else to do?

Also, after his runny bottom I have been trying to groom his bottom - he is doing a really good of trying to keep it clean, but the fur is a bit matted (and I worry its not just fur). He is really good when I lay him on his back and I try to be gentle but he does have rather large bits which are hard to get around and I think I keep getting him coz he will suddenly kick out and run away. Is there a special comb or some sort of lotion? It looks reasonably clean but I am a bit of a worrier about him now after nearly losing him and keep panicking about fly strike.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Neutering does tend to help with litter training as it often removes the hormonal need to mark territory.

It can help to limit exercise space un til he ahs started dping the majority of his poops in the tray and then slowly enlarge the space as he gets better, if at any point he becomes untrained again you take a step backwards.

Have you ben placing the poops in the tray for him?

As for the bottom, I find it easier to cut away any soiled fur....if its pretty constant you could ask your vets to shave him for you.

Have you used Rear-Guard?

He is doing it even when he is in the cage -wee in the tray poo where he is at the time. Just watched him having a bit of a scratch and nibble at himself and when he moved away there were 5 or 6 left behind!

Thanks for the advice. I havent tried rear guard. But will get some even if its just to reduce my own stress!

Vet is reluctant to have him done coz of the stress for him, she said at least not for the next six months. Have to leave it for at least 3 before even having his jabs! :roll: Something else for me to stress about!

Honestly, when he was at the vets I sat around staring into space worrying about him, now I sit around staring at him worring about him! :roll: :)

I'd agree with Sooz about limiting the area he has acess to at first - he's marking his new territory at the moment, which will be less of a habit if he's neutered too.

Bottom cleaning expert here :wave: use cooking cornflour, a pinch at a time, rubbed and massaged into the dirty fur - the dirt just comes off! I never use water any more as that seems to make it worse.

Back