• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Netherland dwarves

Hazel at RabTowers

Warren Scout
This is my first message as I am new here:wave:

I wondered if anyone had a netherland dwarf like me and if they find them to be friendly rabbits - mine isn't although he loves his two adopted cross breed sisters!

I have 2 nethies, and they both have completely opposite personalities. One is quite grumpy most of the time, and the other is a ball of fluff that comes running when you sit on the floor. (but I still love them both :love: )

You will find that because rabbits were bred at first for colour, size, and markings, not personality (like dogs i suppose), very often different rabbits of the same breed will have different personalities.

Good luck with your little boy!

Hello there and welcome :wave:

I have a little nethie - Tarquin - and he's a little sweetie. Very adventurous - he's discovered the stairs this weekend and has spent all his time out of his cage bombing up and down them.

Unlike your little boy (what's he called?) though he doesn't get on with other rabbits. He was bonded previously and it didn't work and he was then bonded (well, he wasn't, but we tried) with my other bunny Bella and both of them were very dominant with each other so they now have to live separately, though they are close by to each other and have nose contact through the bars of their cages. They seem happy like that, but seeing him and Bella fighting when they accidentally got out at the same time a couple of weeks ago was not pleasant - very different to how both of them are with me.

Let us know what yours are all called, and piccies - we love piccies!

Rebec :)

Our little boy is called Bugsy (imaginative eh?!) and even though he can be a bit of a grumps he LOVES the girls Maddie and Cleo. I am so glad we got them for him he must have been so lonely before:D

Anyway here are some pics of them, we will put better ones on as we get them, right now they're not great at posing .....but theyre learning fast!:)

Ahh - they're all beautiful and Bugsy is gorgeous. I only got Tarquin a couple of months ago - before that I've always tended to fall for bigger bunnies with huge ears, but there was something about him I couldn't resist - he was on the Rabbit Rehome website and as he was in a rescue in Sheffield where I live it seemed like fate. Unfortunately fate didn't go as far as to want Bella and Tarquin together!! It seemed like a match made in heaven - two feisty, adventurous, strong-willed bunnies - but unfortunately I think they are too similar so it didn't work. :lol:

Lucky Bugsy having both Cleo and Maddie. :)

Rebec

i have had one, a small dog got into his outside hutch and took him from me now i will not have my animals in outside cages at all.

But my netherland was a sweetie he would run round with me in the back yard and play tag with my cat, i use to be able to walk him on a lead and he enjoyed cuddles and lots of love

Ahh - they're all beautiful and Bugsy is gorgeous. I only got Tarquin a couple of months ago - before that I've always tended to fall for bigger bunnies with huge ears, but there was something about him I couldn't resist - he was on the Rabbit Rehome website and as he was in a rescue in Sheffield where I live it seemed like fate. Unfortunately fate didn't go as far as to want Bella and Tarquin together!! It seemed like a match made in heaven - two feisty, adventurous, strong-willed bunnies - but unfortunately I think they are too similar so it didn't work. :lol:

Lucky Bugsy having both Cleo and Maddie. :)

Rebec

We have just been offered a grey male Rex from a rescue, and i would LOVE to have him.

Fingers crosed we can bond him with Bugsy as easliy as we did with the girlies!

Hi and welcome:wave: Maddie looks similar to our foster nethie Nia, except Nia's ears are smaller. She's a friendly, gentle little thing who will be looking for a home:
DSC02984.jpg

Last edited:
My netherland dwarf is sat here on my lap.
Shes lovely and cuddly, shes a bit spooked at the mo which is why shes inside for cuddles
I find her really lovely natured

I have 3. Salt and Pepper are brothers and live outside together. They are not so keen on cuddles, but are very affectionate in their own way.
Squidgy lives inside and he can be a grumpy monkey, but he's beautiful. He spends all day with my o/h (who works at home) and is extremely affectionate (very licky!)

I've looking after a nethie foster (Rosie) from Chloaster. We've only had her two days so she is still a little nervy but I've managed to stroke her a bit whilst giving her some dried food & once you catch her, she is fine being picked up, not wriggly.

It's taking a little getting used to how fast she can move compared to my lops (she grabbed a piece of carrot from my hand so quickly, I thought she was attacking!) and she is also one fussy eater. We've finally got her eating some rabbit junk food mix having turne down SS, Excel & Oxbow T.

She's so tiny and pretty...as cute as a button. I'm going to be sad when she's rehomed.

Last edited:
It's taking a little getting used to how fast she can move compared to my lops

She's so tiny and pretty...as cute as a button. I'm going to be sad when she's rehomed.

They are really sweet aren't they? Before Tarquin I'd always had what I'd describe as "big medium" bunnies and he's so little and cute it fascinates me. Bella looks massive compared to T. I just love their little chubby faces.

My poor cat sometimes wonders what's happening when T whizzes past him cos he's like lightening.

Rebec

Back