• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have no hay or food left!!!

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I have hardly any food or hay left to last a week, which is how long it'll take for the next offer to come. I was thinking of introducing some Bunny Basics TT, because we got two bags free at the vets, so I thought, now is the right time to use it. Is it ok to change food over slowly and then take it off again after such a short time? I think the hay I can deal with, I'll just give smaller amounts, but the food is almost down to zero. Help!!!

Can't you get any hay locally? I'd have thought it would be better to give them less pellets and more hay. I think you could mix in some of the other food to make it last but I wouldn't change them completely and then change again especially as they are still quite young.

tescos sell meadow hay if your desperate (a lot are 24 hours too)

Thanks. I'll do that. Would it be ok to give them like three pellets each per day, or that is that bad for them? I'll ration it down slowly, but I don't think it'll last about three days at my normal rations.

I do, but my parents don't get paid till Wednesday and it takes a few days to come after that, it may even be Monday. :shock:

id just give hay once the pellets are gone, a few days without wont hurt... im sure the pellets are loved but hay will keep them from hunger..... maybe some little bits of apple or pepper to say sorry while you wait for pellets :)

ive felt terribly guilty cutting down Alvins pellets so i sneak him some veg when im in the kitchen... today i was soo chuffed when the gal at the rescue said he was a good hay eater as ive been worried he dont eat enough.....

It's fine to feed hay only or a week (no dry food). But they can't go without hay and just have pellets.

Tam

you can try giveing wholemeal/brown bread dried out so its rock hard to make your food go a bit further you can dry it out in the oven few veggies wouldnt hurt neither

you can try giveing wholemeal/brown bread dried out so its rock hard to make your food go a bit further you can dry it out in the oven few veggies wouldnt hurt neither

But only if they are already eating veggies, and not in larger quantities than they are used to being little.

Bread is high in carbs though so a hay and veg diet would be best.

You should be able to pick up Excel Timothy Hay with herbs and Supaforage from most petshops, can you order a bigger bag of food this time- it works out cheaper in the long run.

Also if they get a lot of grazing time on grass this replaces the hay portion of their diet (for the time they're on the grass, not when they're shut way). But if they're not used to lots of grass build them up gradually so you don't upset their tums

I do, but my parents don't get paid till Wednesday and it takes a few days to come after that, it may even be Monday. :shock:

Its not for me to judge, but if you are saying that you can't afford it till then, then what would happen, heaven forbid, if they became ill? Have you got an emergency vet fund set up? If not, may be a good idea to start putting a little aside every week.:)

You should also buy a new bag of food/hay everytime you open a new one so as you are always one ahead, that way, you can't run out.;)

Its not for me to judge, but if you are saying that you can't afford it till then, then what would happen, heaven forbid, if they became ill? Have you got an emergency vet fund set up? If not, may be a good idea to start putting a little aside every week.:)

You should also buy a new bag of food/hay everytime you open a new one so as you are always one ahead, that way, you can't run out.;)

I completely agree, i have to budget to make sure i have enough moolah for the essentials whenever they need it...
xx

i agree i always have an opened bag and a sealed one i think its best to do it that way then you know your safe, plus winnie would kill me if she didn't get her precious food:lol:

What I try to do is get all the things a need for a month so I don't have to p+p each time. I've only had them a month and a bit so I haven't quite got it right yet. I went to the petshop down my road and they sold SS pellets, so I bought that and I've got a bag of meadow hay from Tescos so the crisis is over!!! :lol: They sell rabbits there and they are in very good condition actually. I was quite impressed. They had hay, food, water, cage was a tad small, but it was clean, and they seemed happy bunnies, cos they were flopped out.

Back