• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Rabbit Cage

Hello all,
I am trying to build a new indoor cage for my two rabbits. Right now they have a cage that is about 26" by 16". The cage is divided down the middle because they fight, so it only gives them 13" by 16" room. They don't have a litter box so I need a cage that has a tray at the bottom with a mesh floor.

Do you think it would be better to have the sides surrounding the cage with plastic or with a mesh type material?

I am thinking of making the new cage either 28" by 28" or 42" by 14" since we have limited space for the cage in the house.

Where would I be able to find materials for this cage, especially for the mesh floor strong enough to support the bunnies.

Thank you.

How big are your rabbits, do they have elsewhere to exercise. To behonest, that's just not enough space for a rabbit. They need a cage big enough to hop 3-4 times minimum. Without that they could get problems with their bones, muscle wastage and behaviour problems from stress of not having enough room.

What sex are your rabbits? Are they neutered? Maybe you can get the back together so they can share a cage.

You could also have one cage on top of the other so it didn't take more floor space, just was higher.

If you can't fit a bigger cage then unfortunately the only other option is finding someone else take take one :(

Tamsin

I agree with Tamsin, if you cant build outwards build upwards!

We keep a lot of the rescue bunnies indoors and I sometimes have 3 indoor cages stacked ontop of each other, there is no other way I could accomodate all the rabbits we take in.

You would have to be careful with the mesh floor as its not the kindest to the buns feet! maybe im being niaeve but if its all mesh on the floor where will they sleep?

OMG 13" by16" thats 1 foot by 1 and a half foot. Not meaning to judge but that is ridiculous and totally cruel on a rabbit.

I have two male rabbits, they are about a year old and I have been trying to figure out how to make a bigger cage. In January, I made a cage which was two floors and it was pretty big the small cage fit inside it, but that was before they started fighting a lot. Also now the white rabbit hurt his foot so he wouldn't really be able to hop up and down if I did still have the old cage. The main reason I put them back into the small cage is because they fought and because they aren't trained for a litter tray so when they pee'd, sometimes it would come out of the cage and onto the floor. I tried many times to let them be in the cage together because that way if they were together they would have atleast a little more room than they usually do. When they were together, I bought a tray that would take up 75% of the tray and that's what they slept in. If anyone knows how I can get them litter trained before building the new bigger cage please let me know. Thanks

Also, they are usually out of the cage whenever someone can watch over them, either in the house or outside in the backyard when it's nice outside.

I honestly don't really want to get them neutered. They don't fight when they're outside the cage so I guess it's fine. I think I'm just going to try building a cage with a pull out tray on the bottom and get them a little tray inside so they can sleep on it. Any ideas on how I can make a lift so that the tray can pull out?

Well, in the cage they're going to be separated and outside the cage they're always supervised so even if they fight a little I either calm them down or put them both back in the cage for a while until they calm down themselves.

The size of that cage is cruel :cry: If you have limited space indoors then why cant they go outdoors & at least have a decent home?!

I am involved with an animal rescue, we get many pairs of boys handed over to us due to fighting, the only pairs of males I have ever known to stay together are ones which have been neutered at a very young age.

If these were my male rabbits, I would get them both neutered and then provide them with a decent size cage. Male pairs need accomodation which is as large as possible. Anything under 5 foot x 2 foot will result in problems. 4 foot (120 cm) hutches are too small for any rabbit, let alone a pair of male rabbits.

In the long term neutering them now will result in a lot less money being spent on vet bills which would occur due to bites and other injuries which they will sustain later. Neutering your boys will not guarantee success in these rabbits now living together happily, not neutering them now and leaving them 'whole' will guarantee problems further on in their lives.

Well, I wouldn't mind keeping them outside but there are a lot of cats in my neighborhood and I live in Chicago so it gets really cold during the winter. How big approximately do you think I would need to get the new cage (for indoors)? Is 39"W enough?

Well, I wouldn't mind keeping them outside but there are a lot of cats in my neighborhood and I live in Chicago so it gets really cold during the winter. How big approximately do you think I would need to get the new cage (for indoors)? Is 39"W enough?

Personally I would only keep one guinea pig in a 39 inch wide cage and not two rabbits. For an indoor cage where they have lots of time outside I would go for a minimum of 48 inches as a double storey. A dog crate can be made into a double storey hutch.

If you are planning to keep your rabbits separate this would not be big enough to be shared between 2 buns.

Back