• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Result: UPDATE ON BELLA!

Hello :cry:

Sorry if I am sounding childish, its just that I have just discovered something wrong with my Bella!!! You know how she had her first HVD injection this Friday just gone? Well on Saturday it seems she has had some sort of reaction to it as on the top of her neck she has lost some of her fur and it looks all horrible, wet and it had all blood around it :cry: One thing that has got a little better is the blood, it seems Bella has licked most of that away but theres still a little tiny bit there!!! It seems like it is itchy for Bella as she keeps scratching it and licking it. We are going to make an appointment on Monday (tomorrow) as thats when the vets open as its better to be safe then sorry!!! Am I a terrible bunny mummy? :cry: Maybe if I was more careful or didn't make that appointment she wouldn't be like this now!!!

Oh HELP PLEASE!!!

Last edited:
sounds a strange reaction!poor bella! but even fi she has had a reaction, its still better she got the jab as you wouldnt want to lose her to VHD! dont know what to suggest....just keep an eye on her until tomorro! poor bella! xxxx

sounds a strange reaction!poor bella! but even fi she has had a reaction, its still better she got the jab as you wouldnt want to lose her to VHD! dont know what to suggest....just keep an eye on her until tomorro! poor bella! xxxx

Hello and thank you to your post! Ok so she has had both of the injections for this year now and this suddenly happens, nothing happened when she had her Myxomatosis one and that was her first ever one :? Should I still continue to bring her out as she seems like her usual self it just looks itchy and horrible :cry:

Murray had a reaction like this to his first VHD, the vet gave us some cream and he was fine after a few days. Try not to worry too much, if she seems fine in herself that's a good thing.

Hope that helps. :D

It is quite common for buns to react like this to the VHD vaccination so don't panic that you've done something wrong! As SJ says it's far better that she is vaccinated than not. There are two types of VHD vaccination - one is called cylap and seems to give these types of reactions, and the other is newer and is called lapinject and seems to give less reactions. The only thing is that lapinject is only available in pots which do 5 buns so your vet may only use it if they have several buns to inject that day. It's probably worth asking about using the other type next time her vaccination is due. In the meantime, if you are worried, give your vet a ring for a chat.

Hello :cry:

Sorry if I am sounding childish, its just that I have just discovered something wrong with my Bella!!! You know how she had her first HVD injection this Friday just gone? Well on Saturday it seems she has had some sort of reaction to it as on the top of her neck she has lost some of her fur and it looks all horrible, wet and it had all blood around it :cry: One thing that has got a little better is the blood, it seems Bella has licked most of that away but theres still a little tiny bit there!!! It seems like it is itchy for Bella as she keeps scratching it and licking it. We are going to make an appointment on Monday (tomorrow) as thats when the vets open as its better to be safe then sorry!!! Am I a terrible bunny mummy? :cry: Maybe if I was more careful or didn't make that appointment she wouldn't be like this now!!!

Oh HELP PLEASE!!!

you dont sound childish, you have make a good decision by having your rabbit vaccinated, Im sure she will be fine:D
Sallyx

Murray had a reaction like this to his first VHD, the vet gave us some cream and he was fine after a few days. Try not to worry too much, if she seems fine in herself that's a good thing.

Hope that helps. :D

Ok thanks, should I still make the appointment tomorrow to be on the safe side?

It is quite common for buns to react like this to the VHD vaccination so don't panic that you've done something wrong! As SJ says it's far better that she is vaccinated than not. There are two types of VHD vaccination - one is called cylap and seems to give these types of reactions, and the other is newer and is called lapinject and seems to give less reactions. The only thing is that lapinject is only available in pots which do 5 buns so your vet may only use it if they have several buns to inject that day. It's probably worth asking about using the other type next time her vaccination is due. In the meantime, if you are worried, give your vet a ring for a chat.

Oh right, ok. I have called the vets yesterday but there were closed and the woman at the Heanor branch said the only thing was to either wait till Monday and make an appointment or get to the Heanor branch and that'll cose about £75 - £90 with some things she said the person would give Bella. I know its proberbly not the correct choice but we are waiting till Monday, (tomorrow) :?

Ok its time for me to come off the computer and let my sister/mum have a go but first should I bother bringing Bella out for love, attention and veggies or what because I don't want to make her feel scared even more she now has something wrong with her neck :? Should I just bring her out and practise picking her up from the table and sofa and up into my chest then back down to the table and sofa and down again and back up, etc, and just not touch her next and just stoke her head and back or what?

just do what you think is best. if you think she would rather be alone then leave her be, if you think she would like some fuss, then fuss her.trust your own judgement, youl make the right choice.

i dont think your bad for waiting til monday....as long as its not urgent, then its okay. xxxxxxxxxxxx

just do what you think is best. if you think she would rather be alone then leave her be, if you think she would like some fuss, then fuss her.trust your own judgement, youl make the right choice.

i dont think your bad for waiting til monday....as long as its not urgent, then its okay. xxxxxxxxxxxx

I have made an appointment for Bella on Friday at 4:20, unfoutunatly this is the earlist time they had available due to being booked up. Is this a terrible choice or what? I'll take some photos of her bad neck soon to show you what I could of avoided some how :?

yeh if i hadnt vaccinated her you could have saved this, but then she could have died from a horrofic disease,...so pick your evils!

I did see some bunny skin cream in a pet shop today, i had a look and it looked okay, cnt remember the brand but it had a yellow label...maybe you could get some of that until the vet appointment?

yeh if i hadnt vaccinated her you could have saved this, but then she could have died from a horrofic disease,...so pick your evils!

I did see some bunny skin cream in a pet shop today, i had a look and it looked okay, cnt remember the brand but it had a yellow label...maybe you could get some of that until the vet appointment?

Will have a look around, thanks, Missy!

its like where you get the vitamins and stuff its noas good as vet treatment but could help her in meantime, i used it on peanut when he had flaky skin and it was pretty good! around £3.50 i think.

Back