• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Failed Homechecks

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
As a rescue I would like to know how people on here have felt/dealt with being turned down by a rescue for adoption....

now I realise that some people may well not want to put why they were turned down and please don't put any personal attacks on an individual or rescue ..

but.. apart from the people who I would never let adopt for dire reasons.....most of the homechecks we've had smaller problems with have resulted in the potential adopter putting the things we've raised right..and then going on to adopt later .

A very few have taken offence:(

I would be interested to know if you have been given a chance to correct the things the homechecker has questioned and then returned to the same rescue to adopt later..also could the said rescue have worded their concerns better?

Your responses may help us all to deal with these situations better in future:D

they never did a homecheck, but when i enquired to a rescue before they said they couldnt let us adop bcus f run wasnt connected to the hutch. i explained id dint like them being outside @ night anyway but they wouldnt let me adopt.

annoyed me because 99% of all hutches with runs can be closed of at night, buy a ladder or a door, so i didnt think the fact ti was connect ensure 24/7 access to a run!

I've had 5 enquires about these two lovely foster piggies I have here. All I've asked for is if they have a 4x2 hutch/cage, I've also asked for them to be indoors or a shed.. Every person have got offended by this :? one woman was very nasty with me, I just can't understand some people.

Having been lied to by some people on the phone and face to face..and then been horrified when I've been out to check at what they think is acceptable..I think homechecks are as important as neutering.

Also we have some owners having to give up much-loved pets for no fault of their own and I'm sure everyone would agree..if you were homing your own pet you would want a physical check done.

Our "requirements" are not set in stone..we do take the whole picture into account.

i passed..... when discussing Alvins food i was told that my new bun probably wouldnt be able to tolerate excell especially as they didnt know her background... it was put in a way that no way would have caused offence it was just experience being voiced... i personally would have changed pretty much anything regarding space, bedding, access to outside, feeding.... i would have taken offence had i been told the dog or chipmunks would cause a problem (didnt happen phewww) or that she couldnt be a house bun (that never happened neither)...

the only potential issue was the dog crate being too small, but theres a permanent pen attached which makes the cage huge :)

when i went to visit i did feel very judged being so inexperienced but i put that down to the fact the rescues see so much suffering and they only want the best for the buns....

i found that the homecheck was very individual and that rather than being asked questions over the phone they came to see us in person which deffo would have resulted in less offence had an issue been present.....

oops that was a long post..... overall meaning i found the homecheck a positive experience :)

This is an interesting topic and I'll be interested to hear people's views. I've never home checked or been home checked for my rescues (all my rescues have been from people who knew me to some degree). What I can imagine people are like at a home check is incredibly nervous and ready to be on the defensive.

When I tried to home a rabbit from a centre 6yrs ago, I was told to take the measurements of my hutch and run etc with me when I went to have a look at the rabbits. I went with my measurements and was told after driving there that my hutch was 3 inches too small in length, didn't matter that it was a foot wider than their minimum requirements:roll: I can understand people have to set guidelines but I thought this was a little harsh. Mine now have an 8 by 8 shed and an 8 by 6 run, is this too big??

Smokie..this is a good example of if they have set requirements then you should have been told...although i suppose you then have the probelm of people lying once they know what is needed..hence a physical check:?

and no your set up isn't too big..sounds great lucky buns!:D

when I wanted to adopt my Gerbils from the RSPCA, they would only let me if my dogs were neutered and vaccinated :?
Both were neutered, however vaccinations had been put off, as Lincoln had an autoimmune muscle wasting disease... So I got Mosi up to date with hers (she hadn't had her booster, as I used to do them at the same time) & got the vet to explain why Lincoln wasn't going to have his...
This was all fine & I eventually got my Gerbils (albeit 1 month after I'd enquired about them :roll:).

Also, when I was setting the indoor area up for the housebunnies (I adopted Aemilia from BARC), Angie Bunnymadhouse gave me tips and advice on how I could improve the indoor area - this resulted in me keeping the gate open at all possible times so they have 3 times the amount of space that they would have had! :D
This was all done via email, and sending pics etc.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask people to email pics of the set-up beforehand and allow for some liason, so that they have a chance to make improvements before the actual homecheck :D

Smokie..this is a good example of if they have set requirements then you should have been told...although i suppose you then have the probelm of people lying once they know what is needed..hence a physical check:?

and no your set up isn't too big..sounds great lucky buns!:D

Yes I know it is difficult for rescues, you cannot be too careful these days. If I had been asked for the measurements of my run and hutch over the phone it would have saved a lot of time, I just felt that they did not want to rehome any of the rabbits they had. I got Smokie and Misty from accidental litters that private owners had had and Ozzy came from Tash an RU member when she had to rehome two of her rabbits. All my pets get the best of everything and for the sake of 3 inches another bunny lost out on a home that day.

Yeah homecheck is very inportant as you can be lied too then the get mistreated when there out of your hands,I PASSED JILL HEHEHE:D

Our "requirements" are not set in stone..we do take the whole picture into account.

This isnt true though as I told my homechecker Kovu gets time on the stairs and that there will be a shed in the near future.
Would you rather I got the shed now and put them outside in the middle of winter? I can if you would prefer that :)

from the perspective of the rescue / homechecker ....its not easy telling someone they have failed :? :? it has to be done but its not nice :roll:

Wow. When I got Teyla they didn't even ask what kind of cage she would be in. All they wanted to know was if she would be indoors, and when I said yes they said she's all your's....:shock:

I've done a few homechecks and fortunately most of them have been fine. There was one where the bun was shut in a hutch inside a shed at night which was fine for the one bun but too small for two. We chatted about it and got it sorted and left both happy and with a bun with a great new home.

I think the important thing to remember is that every rescue wants their buns to find new homes and they want you to pass the home check as much as you do. Any failings means a bun without a home so they will try and help you make it right if they can. :D

I was terrified before my homecheck. :oops:

When I got Barney, the sanctuary asked if I had owned rabbits before - I told them I had owned two, and they considered that to be enough to let me adopt one of their bunnies without a home check. But when I adopted amber, I had to look at a new place due to there being few medium-sized female rabbits around... I had a homecheck from a RSPCA rehoming centre. My biggest fear was that I would be told I would not provide a suitable home for a rabbit... Because, in that scenario, I'd have felt I'd failed Barney, too. Not only because if that happened he would have been denied a friend at that time, but also it would have meant being told I was caring for him all wrong.

Luckily I passed and we soon got amber-bunny. ^^

However, when searching for her, some rescues have requirements which can be a bit daunting... The whole 'the rabbit must have access to an outdoor run 24/7' thing is something I've read a few times... I'd never be able to provide that and sleep at night. o_o;

I have had two homechecks. One for two cats from Cats Protection League and one for two buns from RSPCA. We had had cats before and there was no problem with that homecheck. When we had Teapot and Porkpie (our very first buns) we approached the RSPCA and asked for their advice. We had obviously done our own research, but it was nice to speak to someone with experience. The lady who dealt with us was superb and provided lots of advice. As we were starting from stratch, we did everything they wanted and needless to say passed with flying colours.

Must admit that if I'd failed a homecheck, I'd be gutted and probably offended :oops: . I'd struggle to take it positively but then I am a Leo and my pride would be at stake :oops:

Back