• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone know recipes for homemade bunny treats??

sarahmarshadlam

Warren Scout
Hello!

With xmas approaching, I was thinking it would be a nice idea to make some homemade bunny treats. Does anyone have any recipes or websites where you can get recipes to make your own bunny edible treats?

Sarah x

yeah i was thinking about making my own defo be alot cheaper, and could be some fun doing it,i do admit iv tried making some before and hasnt work out too well :lol:

Personally I prefer my buns to have as natural a diet as possible. I'd be very weary of making treats as most homemade treats are awful high in carbs which aren't good for buns.

Mine are more than happy with a small chunk of carrot or apple or some dried herbs.:)

Hi,

I meant natural treats, like I'm guessing maybe good combinations of fruit or veg with oaty things? I'm not sure what you would bind it with though

Just throw together a bunch of veggies and fruits (careful about fruit as it contains sugar;) they shouldn't have too much of it)

Thats the problem, when making treats it usually requires oats/flour both of which are high in carbs.:)

What about the seed sticks you get in shops, what are those bound with?

Honey and sugar! Hate to point out but just because they are in the shops doesn't mean they are good for your pets lol :lol:

I had an idea for christmas pet treats not sure if it's any good though...

You can buy baked apple slices and vegetable crisps, but most have oil and salt (or sugar) added.

I don't see why you couldn't make your own and carefully bake them in the oven on a non stick surface so you don't need to add oil. If you want really thin crisps use a vegatable peeler.

You can use carrot, apple, beetroot, squash, parsnip etc and you could even use cookie cutters on the larger veg to make nice shapes to hang up like edible bunny's Christmas decorations!

I know you can thread popcorn to make garlands, but as far as I know that's not a good bunny food, but I don't see why you couldn't thread bunny friendly foods/treats!

I wonder if anyone could make stars out of a mix of straw (for stiffness) and hay to make bunny safe/edible decorations too! :D

Personally I wouldn't bother, a seagrass basket full of dried grass and brome hay sends my two potty, making treats is a human thing- the buns won't know any different :lol:

P4170054.jpg

What about the seed sticks you get in shops, what are those bound with?

For a start, those seed sticks shouldn't really be fed I'm afraid, or in my opinion anyway. Rabbits are herbivores and therefore have a main diet of roughage, its mainly omnivores such as birds and rodents who eat seeds. Buns don't need fatty seeds or the risk that the seeds will get caught between teeth and cause an infection. Seriously, like sarah86 suggested, a basket of yummy fresh hay will make a great treat!:D

Back