• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

chewing...everything in site!

vicky206

Mama Doe
how do you stop a rabbit chewing things? Gizmo has mounds of toys but he chews everything he comes accross!

He loves paper so i let him have old magazines which he shreds to pieces, he enjoys it that much he destroyed two whole magazines the other day he enjoyed it that much he flumpled over for about 10 minutes to sleep then woke up and started again! This is fine because i can tidy up after him but he loves chewing the carpet and the wood on my wardrobe!

I usually just move him away from the items that he is not allowed to chew but i dont know whether he thinks its part of the game, after i have moved him away he usually binkys around!

I read that you are not meant to tell bunnys off as this only confuses them so i have never shouted.

Any ideas on how this can be prevented would be very welcome - thanks :D

i always yell no at Alvin and oy.. we are now at the point in the game where he sits face at wall waiting for my reaction, before binkying away..... im hoping when he comes home with his new wife next week shes enough of a distraction to stop the wallpaper munching..... :lol: :lol:

Hay is what he wants - shut him in his crate with a big pile of new hay when he starts chewing (honestly they never think to go in there and eat it by themselves :rolleyes: ) - also they won't eat day old hay, so give 2 fresh bundles a day, and if he doesn't like it much then try a farm shop or riding stables, or online, for some different hay :)

I have the same problem with Bella and Tarquin - Bell has take chunks out of the doors and bannisters, and T loves plucking the carpet and leaving little piles of it.

Jane on here recommended Olbas Oil which has reduced the door chewing. Vicks has also been recommended but I've not tried it yet.

Like Elve has said, I've also found that having quite a few cardboard boxes of hay round the house (might look odd but if it saves the furniture it's worth it) does distract them, though it hasn't stopped the chewing completely.

Rebec

Thanks for all the advice, the hay was such an eye opener i had never considered! he has fresh hay in his crate all the time!

So it needs to be dotted around the house?!

We have some natural eucalyptus oil its 100% pure so really powerfull do you reckon this will do the trick?

With Vicks and Olbas its usually watered down and with other stuff added which creates the smell (i was told its cheaper to make so the companies make more profit):roll:

For a month after his snip he was very well behaved i knew it was too good to be true-i was amazed how he does not leave a single dropping anywhere now though all his business is done in the litter tray :lol:

My buns used to do the same:) We have been consistent on saying NO - firmly but not loud. Now they know what they can chew on and what is no no. They really liked chewing on the wood on the balcony though... so I put some white vinegar on the spots and after that they haven't chewed on it. I also use white vinegar if my bun girl has had an accident on the parkett...:D

My buns like to eat the glue strips off of envelopes.

Cant olbas oil that.....would leave a nasty taste in my mouth too!!

Mine is the same, he was trying to eat everything, my nice paper lamp from Ikea is full of holes now :( , this weekend we let him run in the kitchen when we were out and he's been very good, he's been out all the time since and he's more relax. Maybe the fact he's got freedom now stop him to be naughty! (it's only been 2 days so update to follow ;) )

Back