• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald patch?

Sandra

Warren Scout
My rex girl has a completely bald patch on her neck... 3cm*2cm big... her fur has always been a bit thin on her neck, but not bald... Anyone who can tell me what this is? She also has watery eyes (we have been to the vets several times, had swab done etc. No bacteria. Vet can't figure it out) but apart from that she seems fine. Unfortunately it is not easy to find a good bunny vet in Iceland...

Thanks!

Has she had her teeth checked?

Overgrown teeth/tooth roots inparticular can grow into the tearducts and cause blockages, infections and weepy eyes.

Your vet can examine her teeth with a scope and an Xray will show if the tooth roots are growing into the nasal cavity or tear ducts.

She may have to have her ducts flushed, her teeth trimmed or removed to fix the problems, unfortunately using an antibiotic drop such as Tiacil or Fucithalmic will only reduce the symptoms, not fix the problem.

As for the bald patch, does she live with another rabbit who may have been overgrooming her? Could she have caught it on something?

What condition is the revealed skin in?

Im just wondering if maybe she has an allergy to something? whether it be hay or straw or maybe the bedding or litter you use? Just a guess

Well, she lives with her male friend Roger, but they are not really into grooming each other. He cleans her eyes and sometimes he grooms her back a little, but for a very short time... The both ask the other one to groom them but seem to have conversation issues:) So I do not think that his grooming could have caused the bald patch.

The revealed skin is pink and completely smooth.

My bunnies live free in our apartment and only use the cage for toilet purposes... they never sleep in there. The litter we have is some cat litter wood stuff - in small pellets. We keep their hay in a hay container outside the cage. Maybe there is something else in the apartment that she is allergic to? Hmmm...

I have booked a time for an xray so hopefully we will soon find out if it is the teeth...

Does he still mount her from time to time?

The nap of the neck is where they tend to grab hold and rabbit fur is designed to pull away very easily....he may have accidentally pulled it out.

When were her last jabs?

Oh - she has never been vaccinated! :shock: The vet never said anything about vaccinating rabbits here in Iceland. Jabs is vaccination right? Oh dear...

Do you have Myxomatosis or VHD in Iceland? You may not need the jabs over there.

I ask because a localised reaction where the injection was given could result in hair loss.

Back