• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flopsy not eating U/D Flopsy eating again!!!

nannybonk

Warren Scout
My flopsy seems a quite unwell. She was out in the garden and when I went to get her she was just hiding and didn't want to come in. Normally she will respond when she hears me shaking the food cup. Today I had to go and get her. She hasn't eaten since I bought her in at about 6 and I don't have a syringe to try feeding her that way, what can I do? Hannah

Last edited:
Oh dear. Has she pooed at all? If not, this is one for the emergency vet, as they deterioriate very quickly. Do you have any Infacol? If so, you might find it's just some mild tummy ache that is causing it. Tummy rubs can be helpful too.

You definitely need to bring her inside, as you'll probably find her temperature has dropped (cold ears etc).

Edit: just re-read your post - sounds like she is an indoor bunny anyway.

Well we have been to the vet. She gave Flopsy a painkiller and another injection (can't remember what, maybe a probiotic) and also injected some liquids to make sure she doesn't dehydrate. She has also given me some Lacto B9 to give to her and some baytril which starts tomorrow.

She couldn't really say what was wrong with Flopsy as she had no other symptoms other than not eating, lethargic and slightly runny poos.

We will keep and eye on her now. Healing vibes appreciated :)

Hannah

Poor Flopsy :cry:
Not sure why she would need Baytril though :? Especially as you say she already has slightly runny poo :?

Sending get well vibes to her :)

Janex

Oh :? ...What is Baytril normally used for? I have no clue on Rabbit medicine unfortunately :cry:

Have you got any suggestions on how I can help her now? I have syringe fed her a little bit of pineapple juice, is there anything else I can give her to encourage her to start eating?

Baytril is an antibiotic. The other injection was probably Metoclopramide, a gut stimulant.

Oh :? ...What is Baytril normally used for? I have no clue on Rabbit medicine unfortunately :cry:

Have you got any suggestions on how I can help her now? I have syringe fed her a little bit of pineapple juice, is there anything else I can give her to encourage her to start eating?

Baytril is an antibiotic :)
A Vet would *not* normally prescribe it without some evidence of a Bacterial Infection. Also, if the Bun already has runny poo antibiotics, especially those given orally, *might* make things worse

Did the Vet check Flopsy's teeth? If she is bright within herself but just not eating then she may have molar spurs (sharp spikes on her back teeth) which makes eating painful. This will have a knock on effect as pain reduces gut motility and so does not eating.

Pineapple Juice is best avoided as it has a lot of sugar which can upset the balance of gut bacteria. The best thing to syringe feed her would be some Critical Care or Science Recovery. These are powder feeds you mix up with water. You can make a liquid feed by pouring boiling water over the normal pellets your Bun eats. Liquidise it and allow it to cool then add more water til its of a consistency that can be syringe fed.

If Flopsy is not pooing then I would advise you contact the Vet again. Flopsy may need another shot of a gut motility stimulant and maybe more pain relief

Janex

Thank you for your help Jane and everybody. I have given her some watered down syringed food and she seems to have perked up a bit. I guess I just keep giving her bits of this every now and again and maig sure there is hard food, hay and veg around for her to eat if she wants??

Flopsy seems loads better now. She started eating a little bit not long after we got back from the vet and she is now eating her pellet food well. I have an appointment at vets for tomorrow eve, should I still go or do you think she will be ok now?

Great news! :) I'd say yes go to the vets, and try to push them into finding a cause for why it happened.

Back