• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could Blue live without veg?

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
Blue is fed on SS and hay. Anytime he has veg, it gives him a poorly tummy. He get bloated until he poops, wich is runny and sticky. He is fine for the rest of the time, it's just after having veg. He has been to the vets about it, the vets aid he was sensitive to certain veggies, so I tried others but they don't seem to be any differant, I phoned the vet again and he said to not give him veg at all.
so my question is, can he live without eating vegetables? Or is this bad for him?

I would keep him off veg for a few months and then try again using this method I have on copy paste - note how slow it is and how only one type of veg is given - it's a case of 'more haste, less speed' otherwise, and even my adult bunnies have very little veg - it's more a treat at tea time for them - the other important point with veg being it's best to give the same things daily or not at all - if you just give veg a couple times a week it's likely to upset their tum more than if it's a daily habit:

When you do introduce it, just give a tiny piece, as big as a postage stamp, on day one, then nothing on day 2, then another tiny piece on day 3, and so on, gradually building up the portion size over 2 weeks. This gives the digestive bacteria time to build up sufficiently.

Only introduce one type of new veg at a time, and preferably don't feed fruit at all. I give mine a small chunk of carrot (needs to be only a small amount per day as it's sugary) a tiny piece of brocolli, just for a treat as it can cause wind but they love it - and mainly spring greens, which you can get at major supermarkets - they have about a medium sized leaf a day.

Like Elve says, sometimes it's a trial and error thing before you find what veg (and in what quantities) Blue can cope with.

I find all of mine can cope with carrot and celery. I've never had a bad reaction to either of them.

If Blue really can't cope with any veg at all...then YES, he can live without it. Try things like dried apple tree leaves or dried grass instead.

Amy

Back