• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rspca?

I was just wondering and hope its not a silly question but does anyone know if I adopted a rabbit from the RSPCA do they do bonding? Don't know much about RSPCA so don't laugh if its a daft question.:oops:

I have been in touch with two rescue centres and I am hoping to hear from them to see if they do bonding. Am I better off with a rescue centre?

I was just wondering and hope its not a silly question but does anyone know if I adopted a rabbit from the RSPCA do they do bonding? Don't know much about RSPCA so don't laugh if its a daft question.:oops:

I have been in touch with two rescue centres and I am hoping to hear from them to see if they do bonding. Am I better off with a rescue centre?

Unfortunately all rescues are different, this includes the RSPCA rehoming centres. They are in a way independent rescues which work under the name of the RSPCA ... if that makes sence, so they will all have different requirments when they are rehoming animals.

Do ask about bonding when you initially enquire, hopefully someone will be able to help you.

Could be worth ringing up then as its the closest to me at about 20 mins down the road - not that I wouldn't travel further but if they have plenty of buns and do bonding its worth a thought.

When I went to have a look at our RSPCA, the lady told me to take Charlie down there and that she would let them both have a run about together. She said she could usually tell if they were going to get on or not - I guess it's experience ?!!

Which one did you go to as you are quite close to me - I am going to ring great ayton.

How long did your buns have together and have they been ok?

If I was going to go anywhere to get another rabbit, I would want to get a rabbit from somewhere which would be happy to take over the bonding for at least overnight and then offer me on going back up for at least the next week or so as the bonding progresses. I often keep rabbits for bonding for 3 or 4 days or until I am happy with them before they go out to their new home.

For anyone who has never bonded rabbits before it so important for them to be given on going advise almost 24 hours a day to enable them to satisfactoraly achieve success. Bonding rabbits is an ongoing saga which can continue for a period of time.

Guess that would cross RSPCA off my list then - don't think they would bond overnight for me, would they?

Am I allowed to mention the other two rescues I have found and see if anyone knows if they bond? Don't want to get into trouble!:shock:

No I'm not slating anyone just wanting to know if anyone has any experience with them and if they do bonding - they are Paws for Thought in Newcastle, Ramshaw Rescue at Bishop Auckland and Farplace in Durham.

All local to me and it will save me a few phone calls. If not I will have to stop being a lazy so and so and ring them all up on Monday:oops:

My previous experiences and that of people who I have spoken to is that the RSPCA will not do bonding in our area (though they are defunct here currently).

One family were told they could take any rabbit and they would get along fine...it took them 7 months to get them living together :shock:

i adopted a girl from RSPCA suffolk, and although they didnt 'bond them' for me. I did take domino up with me and they together for half an hour and then she gave me advice on how to bond them etc/

OMG - think I would need more than half hour or I would be petrified they fought when I got home and then I wouldn't have a clue:shock:

Sounds sad and maybe selfish and I would miss Flopsy but i would rather he be gone for a couple of days and know he was bonded properly than me be left with a catasrophe when they both came home.

I am dreading a home visit as I don't know what they entail and I just want it all over and done with and flopsy and wife home for winter.

As you can tell I am getting stressed over the whole thing and I havn't really started yet!:(

My previous experiences and that of people who I have spoken to is that the RSPCA will not do bonding in our area (though they are defunct here currently).

One family were told they could take any rabbit and they would get along fine...it took them 7 months to get them living together :shock:
I was told the same with Brody (known as Bea at the time). I was told just to mix up their bedding for a few days:roll: . It didn't work, I had to buy another hutch and they lived apart for over a year as the fight during the attempted bonding was vicious.

If RSPCA don't do bonding then I may as well go to a rescue centre who do bond. I have emailed the ones mentioned in my earlier thread and will hopefully hear from them soon and get the ball rolling for Flopsy a wife.:D

i know it was only half hour but honestly they were love at first sight!! it was the kinda thing where even tho they needed more neutral time...you knew they werent gunna fight!
hehe x

Back