• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long does it take to wash and tumble dry Vetbed?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I'm hoping to buy some vetbed for my buns to go in their bedroom, so they'll be warm this winter. I expect that they'll wee on it regularly, so I was wondering how long it takes to wash and tumble dry it? And can other clothes be in with the vetbed whilst washing and tumbe drying?

I wouldn't put other clothes in with it, don't know about washing times or tumble drying it. Mines hand washed and dried flat outside it takes days to dry:shock:

ok. Because vetbed absorbs the wee, would it be ok to wash it once a week, if they weed on it regularly?

If vetbed is weed on reguarly I would wash it more frequently than once a week.

Vet bed dried very quickly if hung out to dry after bing machine washed. I would strongly recomemend if you are to wash it in a machine that you put it in a pillow case before putting it in the machine. There are a number of people who have had to get the repair man out to unblock the filter from the fluffy bits and hay which managed to get through to it when washing it. In a pillow case you shouldnt have any problems like this.

thanks. Should I wash it twice a week? three times a week?

Sorry for being a little vague, I would have to say whenever it needs it. I would just use it and find out through experience. I have buns who eat big holes in towels / vet bed after their ops, others don't. All rabbits are different and have different needs and you will also find what works for someone wont necessarily work for you.

I find 4 small pieces of vetbed make one load on a washing machine, and 2 are a half load. Yes, there is definitely a problem with getting hay clogged up in the machine - when I'm using it again I will definitely try the pillowcase trick!

I brush the hay off mine before it goes in the washing machine, I put it on a quick wash which takes 30 minutes and then 2 minutes in the tumble dryer which gets all the fluff off in in the filter. Mine has never shrank so I dont see why it cannot be washed everyday. I wouldn't advise washing it with ordinary clothing though as the fluff tends to stick to them:roll:

You could always buy extra vet bed to change each day then do a couple of loads each week;)

Hi!

I always shove mine in the airing cupboard to dry - seems to work better than the tumble dryer for me - paticularly if you have more than one piece on the go and don't need it straight away. A bit cheaper too!

If vetbed is weed on reguarly I would wash it more frequently than once a week.

Vet bed dried very quickly if hung out to dry after bing machine washed. I would strongly recomemend if you are to wash it in a machine that you put it in a pillow case before putting it in the machine. There are a number of people who have had to get the repair man out to unblock the filter from the fluffy bits and hay which managed to get through to it when washing it. In a pillow case you shouldnt have any problems like this.

:oops: :oops: my washer has broke down after I washed the vetbed.

When it's mended I'll remember to pop it in a pillow case. :roll:

I hoover mine before i wash it, although DH has had a go at me before, due to the machine being really blocked with rabbit fluff:shock:
Hadnt thought about using a pillow case with it though...great idea.
I have a vet bed on the line now...lovely sunny day, so it shouldn't take too long to dry;)
I have 2 pieces at the moment...they were 1, but at 40x60 inches it was too big for the machine!!!
Have got more on order;)

Mine use it as a weeing place too:rolleyes:

I'd get a snugglesafe heatpad if they're going to pee on it, Poppy thinks its her toilet and Charlie has given it a nice lace effect by chewing it so I just use it in the pet carrier and will be buying a snugglesafe to hide under the hay relatively soon.

I am just about to get that snugglesafe...havnt heard of that before, but it was suggested to me the other day...my buns will love that!:D

Back