• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting buns used to being fussed?

GemmaH

Mama Doe
Hiya

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for getting bunnies to enjoy being stroked, rubbed or fussed?

I've had Honey & Jasper for over a year now but have never spent a lot of time trying to fuss them because they've never seemed keen, what's the best way to go about trying to get them used to it?

They will happily let me stroke them while they're having their food but wouldn't come over to me voluntarily. Any tips? (I'm guessing food will probably be involved :lol: !)

yup food seems to be the only motivator for Alvin.... or going into a room he dont usually have access to... he then charges accross the room like a looney to be with me....lol

I find that if you sit down with them and let them come over to you when they want to it helps them build confidence in you, it helps if you sit with some food in your lap or hand so that they want to come over to you more.

I think training is best. I have done some training with Milly and Molly, stroke them a couple of times and then they get a treat. In one 5 minute session, they allowed me to stroke them 5 times, touch their ears and stroke their forehead. Don't allow them the treat until you are satisfied with what they have allowed you to do. They naturally come to you so they are easier to train.

What i started doing with mine was every time i had a treat or gave them their food i made a kind of kissing noise! by doing that every time - eventually all i have to do is make the noise and (especially fiver) the buns come running! When they come when the noise is made they are rewarded. I then stroke them when they are too busy eating the treat! I think some buns like stroking more than others though and also depends on what mood they are in!! when i got my bun a friend she didnt care much for my stroking where as before she would run over to me just to get stroked. Ah well - her happiness has tocome before mine! :lol:

I'm just at the kissing stage with lily, She will now put her nose to my lips for a kissy. I haven't done any training, I just let her get on, if she wants me she wants me and right now she does:D

Getting buns used to being fussed

Find it helps if you are at bunnies level and dont tower over them. Feeding time is best time to gently stroke the sides of their faces. If bunny ever tries to run away, let them. As they are quite nosey creatures, they normally stay near you longer the next time round. Also helps alot not to try picking them up alot until they get totally used to being petted. Hope that helps a little. I have had rabbits for 28 years now and tamed many with great success.

When I got poppy she hadnt been picked up ever. :shock: I kept her indoors for a bit in my bedroom, alhtough i knew shed eventually be outdoors, to get her used to seeing people around. I let her have free run of the room and lay on the floor reading a book so she could come and investigate me at her leisure. and i made sure to pet her whenever she was eating so she'd associate stroking with treats. she is a lovely affectionate girl now. :)

Good point about being on their level - I've had Flopsy for 6 months now and he is a very shy, frightened bunny for some reason. I have never trained or bothered him if he doesn't want fuss I leave him but if he wants a stroke he will come over.

Never realised that he does love getting his nose rubbed and being stroked when he is on his top level of his hutch which is about the same level as me if I bob down a bit. He even lets me kiss him on the nose but is a totally different bun when out in the garden quite snooty and cannot even be bribed with food.

I now leave him be - as long as he is happy then thats ok - I guess he's just not a cuddly bun and doesn't like being picked up! Don't love him any less just accept him as he is.:love:

i used the treat system give her something to munch on while i stroke her, i think some rabbits like being fussed more than others, i got lucky with winnie she headbutts me all the time for a cuddle and as soon as i start strokin her she flops on her side, she's funny to coz she likes to be scrubbed behind her ears, like i'm literally pushing her head around and she slides along the floor as i do it but she loves it.....glad i got a rabbit as weird as me :lol:

I think training is best. I have done some training with Milly and Molly, stroke them a couple of times and then they get a treat. In one 5 minute session, they allowed me to stroke them 5 times, touch their ears and stroke their forehead. Don't allow them the treat until you are satisfied with what they have allowed you to do. They naturally come to you so they are easier to train.

with rabs though, i worry that this kind of regimented training will make them associate you with food, and rabbits have a habit of turning when they don't get what they want... not critisism just a point

my rabs were and still are fab, mental but fab... i would say that you should let them come to you x

I agree that it's best just to let them come to you. Sitting or even lying on the floor with them really helps :) Rabbits are nosy enough and will soon come over to look at you! Yes, a treat helps but I've never trained any of mine like you would a dog and they've all been friendly and happy to be stroked etc. Amber and Dexter my fosters have become so much more friendly just from a couple of days of me playing on the floor with them in the garage.

Just take it slowly ... that would be my main advice! Good luck x

Thanks everyone, hopefully the fact that I can approach them and they don't run away is a good starting point. Will let you know how I get on (on the shed floor :lol: )!

I sit in the run most days and they still look at me like I'm an alien or something. They don't relax when I'm there. I've had them for two months. What else should I do?

Back