• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding buns Advice needed for tomorrow's attempt (if any)

Kipper

Mama Doe
Ive been trying to bond my newest arrival Lucky (female) with my existing male female pair Munch & Pipkin.
They all spent around 2.5 hours in the bath, towel down to stop them slipping, & as expected Munch the male bun accepted Lucky without any problem. Pipkin (female dutch) meanwhile tried her best to bite Lucky & in fact managed it on several occasions, leaving poor Lucky with a bloody nose.
Despite this I feel it has gone well because they did spend a lot of time ignoring each other, washing themselves & eating. Munch in fact did his best to protect Lucky & tried to keep himself between the 2 girls
Lucky was very nervous & did nothing to defend herself.
Do you think I should continue with the bonding or wait a couple of weeks until Lucky is a bit older & braver? Shes 12 weeks at the moment.

Last edited:
The best way ive found is,
one run split into 2 with large hole mesh n keep them like this till you see them either groom or sit 2gether ,they have to be in this run all day even if its in the house ,and at night they should be able to see each other and hear each other could be like this for 2 weeks and then this will make the bond a lot easier when you come too it:D

Thanks for that Mullet. My buns are houserabbits, 2 share a hutch & Lucky has her own 5 foot cage which we put on the floor beside the hutch whenever we go out & when we go to bed. This we've been doing for 2 weeks now in an attempt to get them used to seein each other. Today we gave Lucky the run of the living room Pipkin still tried to bite her when Lucky stood up & leaned against the mesh of the hutch.

We've decided to leave it a couple of weeks before we try bonding again, hopefully by then Lucky will try to fight back or at least protect herself. We've also decided to try bonding in the hallway as its a bigger space than the bath.

Personally I would not introduce another rabbit into a bonded pair unless s/he was already speyed.

Whilst not hormonal or sexually active at this time you could be setting yourself up for problems later when Lucky is maturing as she may then turn aggressive towards one of the others or vice versa.

There is also the issue of taking the three of them to the vets together for her spey.

Im guessing the bite drew blood so was more than a nip and you ned to ask yourself if you would be happy to leave the three of them alone together without you to 'rescue' her?

Also if they are 'scrapping' stopping and starting bonding is not the way to go, they remember the hurt and begin to fear the other rabbit....meaning they are on the defensive from the start. If you are determined to bond now then get it done in one continuous attempt over a few days.

Thnaks for that Sooz my partner & I decided yesterday not to retry the bonding until Lucky has been speyed but will continue to house all 3 close to each other so they can hear & see each other & hopefully Lucky will have forgotten the bite when we try again. If the bonding doesnt work out we will get a nuetered male for her & have 2 groups.

Back