• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Know any low calcium veg?????

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
My buns have a problem with calcium. They excrete chalky wee which looks like Tippex. Foods I have given them up to this point are:

Carrot Tops
Flat-Leaf Parsley
Celery
Spring Greens
Timothy Hay
Meadow Hay
SS pellets

The causes are not all because of the veg, although, it is the main cause because it has increased dramatically since I introduced these. I would like to know any veg that contains low calcium. Thanks.

They need some calcium for strong bones, so I would just cut out the parsley as it's extremely high in calcium.

Thanks. This is the amount of calcium that they produced in just one night:

2niton4.jpg

And this is after I fed them spring greens, parsley and celery. The chalky wee has reduced slightly as I have stopped spring greens. It's more a sludgy yellow substance now.

Just wanted to make sure...:oops: You never know...
Can't help you any further, just know that the green of carrots or example contains a lot of calcium and endives.

Good luck though and be sure to let us know if you found a solution.
Did the tell you about this calcium problem?

Thanks. This is the amount of calcium that they produced in just one night:

2niton4.jpg

And this is after I fed them spring greens, parsley and celery. The chalky wee has reduced slightly as I have stopped spring greens. It's more a sludgy yellow substance now.
Poor Johnny :lol: :lol:

These are good articles about calcium for buns

http://www.carrotcafe.com/f/veggies.html
http://www.carrotcafe.com/n/calcium.html
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=688&S=1&SourceID=43

yeah i would def say the greens are major part of it. this is the selection i give my buns (usually a combo of about 3 or 4 at a time). They have always had good wee! and also perfect poop. Dont know if this is of any help but here goes!

Rocket, red chard, parsnip, celery, watercress, all herbs, carrot apple and pear (as treats), strawberry leaves, cleavers (sticky willies) and pea shoots.
I do give them kale and greens but its hardly ever and only a tiny portion. Hope you sort their wee out soon :wave:

Thanks. I didn't introduce veg as slowly as these sites suggest. I gave them about 2 inchs of spring green leaf the first day, and then 4 inchs, and then I introduced parsely and the sort. May this be part of the problem?

Thanks. I didn't introduce veg as slowly as these sites suggest. I gave them about 2 inchs of spring green leaf the first day, and then 4 inchs, and then I introduced parsely and the sort. May this be part of the problem?
Possibly. I've had mine produce tippex style wee then I've laid of the coriander/ crinkly parsley / carrot tops and the wee has gone back to normal :) .

it could be that if they werent used to it before. Best bet is to leave out the ones you think causing the calcium and start again slowly. I would prob start with a little bit of rocket or chard and maybe a little bit of parsnip and a small stock of some herb. That way theres a little variety but not too much in amount that might upset them a bit. Definately stay away from the greens and kale especially

ok. thanks. I won't give them any veg tomorrow, I'll start again with rocket. What amount should I start with? Should I wait until the wee turns back to normal before introducing it again, then we know it's veg that causes the chalky wee?

It might be a good idea to wait a couple days yes just to make sure its the veg and not some other problem. I was just wondering if you give them any form of alfalfa? like hay or the treat things you can get. They are higher in calcium than other hays. Id start with just a small handful of rocket between them. Its hard for me to imagine how much as im so used to giving the amounts to my own! oh and i forgot lambs lettuce is good for them too. that would prob be an easy thing to start them with too. I hope this helps :)

Thanks. Molly doesn't like her veg, she's like a naughty kid. :lol: Milly is the only one who eats it so... I'll try lams lettuce if I can find it, but if not, I'll try some rocket.

Back