• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New receptionist at vets!!!! Good job i knew she was wrong!!!!!

Debs2811

Alpha Buck
Ive just been on to the vets this morning to nbook one of my buns in for his neuter, the lady i spoke to was different to anyone ive spoken to before and as I know they have been advertising for a new receptionist i assume that she was new, anyway she asked me if ive had a pet have an operation before, i said yes so she said "so you know not to feed them the night before then" I said, no not with a rabbit, She replied saying " yes its the same because they still have to have anaestetic (sp)" I said No it cant be the same because a rabbit has to keep eating, other wise its gut ceases up, so she said that she would check with the nurse but was sure she was right, anyway she went away and came back very apologetic and told me to keep feeding, so i then explained to her about that rabbits have to eat very often otherwise they are in trouble.

Good job I knew to question it, just hope she hasnt worked there long enough to have told anyone else the wrong info.

I know its not the vets fault as they are a very good vets and very rabbit savvy and the only vets ive found that my dog likes going to:lol:

At least now hopefully the lady wont make the same mistake again:D

I have had this conversation with two different receptionists at my vets now :roll: :?

I complained because they were obviously giving out incorrect advice and wouldnt accept that they were wrong :?

Thanks for reminding me, I have to post my CV off for a admin job in the vets I use. I doubt I'll get an interview, but last week when I was there I said I'd love to work there and they need someone like me (big headed am I not?:lol: ).

I heard that I was not supposed to feed Zakura before she was neutered, but I thought it sounded fishy so I still gave her hay.
The operation went fine though.;)

Do vet receptionists have any qualification, i.e. do they go to school and take classes about animal anatomy and care etc.? Or do they start straight after school and learn things on the job? If she is new, then I can understand that she may not know every detail, yet. If she never had a rabbit, she may not know that they can't throw up and how their gut system works. In which case she should not be allowed to book appointments and give advice without an experienced nurse sitting next to her.

Sound familiar...
Had this huge discussion with an assistant (they are qualified here) ,even brought her an article written by some college professor, explaining it, she wouldn't even hear about it... kept insisting that they shouldn't eat...

Do vet receptionists have any qualification, i.e. do they go to school and take classes about animal anatomy and care etc.? Or do they start straight after school and learn things on the job? If she is new, then I can understand that she may not know every detail, yet. If she never had a rabbit, she may not know that they can't throw up and how their gut system works. In which case she should not be allowed to book appointments and give advice without an experienced nurse sitting next to her.

No experience or prior knowledge is required.

Also, rabbits do not have the neccessary stomach muscles to induce vomiting, so there is no risk of them choking on vomit whilst under.

I was offered a receptionists postition at a local vets awhile ago and I don't think you have to have any specific qualifications regarding animals. I got offered the job because of my previous reception experience and my experience with small pets, but I have very limited knowledge of cats and dogs.
Taz

Yep, but it's the fault of the veterinary surgery not adequately training their staff rather than the fault of the receptionist.

our receptionist just booked Alvin in...... the vet told me what to expect the night before the op when he had his pre-op check

At our vets I'm pretty sure it's the nurses who are the receptionists! I could be wrong of course, they could just be wearing the uniform of course! But in the sub branch there is just the vet and receptionist, so if the vet needs assistance they will call on the "receptionist" to assist - thus the "receptionist" would have to be a nurse as well... if you get my drift!

It is scary though that they could offer such bad advice!

Hannah

Many vets employ receptionists who have no formal training. Many vets allow these to assist with procedures and operations under supervision and training from themselves.

When I had poppy spayed they told me not to feed her the night before - turns out that was cos the receptionist had looked at her and thought she was a cat! :shock:

We use two different vets in our area.

The first have some really good receptionists and some really bad ones.
The second is a very small practice and has one receptionist and the nurses are sometimes used on reception.

I think it should be part of the receptionists training to know the simple things, but i guess it all comes from experience.

When I had poppy spayed they told me not to feed her the night before - turns out that was cos the receptionist had looked at her and thought she was a cat! :shock:

The mind boggles! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks for reminding me, I have to post my CV off for a admin job in the vets I use. I doubt I'll get an interview, but last week when I was there I said I'd love to work there and they need someone like me (big headed am I not?:lol: ).

Good luck with the application. :wave:

Also, rabbits do not have the neccessary stomach muscles to induce vomiting, so there is no risk of them choking on vomit whilst under.

That's what I love about this site - you learn something new every day! :D

we had the same thing, they told me that for peanus neuter, LUCKILY i had had domino neutured a few months previously so i knew it was rubbish. i corrected her and she went 'oh i thought it was for a cat' i was like...yes he looks like one doesnt he!!

How can anyone mistake a Rabbit for a cat:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dont the long ears and twitchy nose tend to give it away:lol: :lol:

Or have some people met some very strange cats:lol: :lol: :lol:

lol i dnt think she even looked in the carrier!! whos booked in 4 a neuter? not benji surely?lol he too little!xxx

lol i dnt think she even looked in the carrier!! whos booked in 4 a neuter? not benji surely?lol he too little!xxx

NOPE not Benji, Timmys booked in on 6th Nov, havnt bothered before now as hes lived on his own as he was originally supposed to be paired with Emily, but when ever they were put in a run next to each other emily didnt like him so we kept him on his own a bachelor bun:lol: but now he and Twinkle seem to quite like each other so we might try that pairing up. He still lives inside at the moment and im a little worried about putting him outside though as he has a blocked tear duct so we tend to be more careful with his hay and make sure he doesnt throw it around, but Twinkle like to dig a bit in her hay and wont use a rack so im apprehensive about pairing them due to his eye!!!

Benji is becoming quite the cheeky boy!!!!! he has learnt a new trick to try to get out of his hutch and get nose rubs.........................when we open up to feed or see him he hops straight into the hay rack on the door and sits there while the door is opened swinging out in the hay rack:lol: :lol:
BTW His floppy ear is now up again nearly all the time now.

Back