• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby Dwarf Rabbit

Robbie P.

New Kit
Hello,

Yesterday we ve acquired a baby dwarf rabbit with a notion of our guinea pig having some company. The matter is that i don't really know a lot of things about rabbit care. The book we've bought for our rabbit's care turned out to be a more of "cooking" book rather than a pet owner's manual. It even includes techniques on how to slaughter your rabbit. I was disgusted of having bought it in a prestigious pet store.
So, I'm reaching out for some help here. I've bought some junior rabbit food because they ve informed me in the pet store that he is so young that he can't eat proper rabbit food, but i doubt it.
Also, he keeps sitting at the corner of his cage in "sleepy ball form" doing actually nothing. He is pretty much nocturnal i think.
To sum up, i request your comments and information on the matter.

Thank you very much in advance,
Robert.

PS. I hold both the guinea pig and the lil rabbit in their own cages.

Last edited:
:wave: and welcome!
Lots of questions first:
Whereabouts do you live?
How old is baby bun?
What exactly are you feeding him?
Has he eaten since you got him?

You'll get lots of advice on here - I've learnt lots. Sorry you were given an inappropriate book for pet rabbits. The advice you were given doesn't sound great.

I live in an apartment.
The baby bun can't be older than 1 month i can keep it in my bare palm.
I'm feeding him a mixture of what seems like nuts and stuff and dried vegetables or something. The package reads "Junion Bunny Food"

Yep he has eaten and drunk some water and he is most active in the nighttime.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum :)

Unfortunately rabbits don't generally make good companions for guinea pigs. Although both animals are social they get on best with companions of their own species. There are various issues, different diet and bullying being the main ones. The size difference and communication gap can mean the guinea pig gets injured by the rabbit.

It's very important rabbits diets aren't suddenly changed. You need to feed the same type/brand of food it's gut is used to. If you can't do this then feed plenty of hay and gradually introduce the new dry food over a few days building up the quantity gradually.

If you start with the general information articles on the right of this page: http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/information.htm they'll give you a good introduction to the basics of rabbit care.

Tamsin

At a month old the baby rabbit should surely be with his mum? I can't give you much advice, but i'm sure others will give you lots of helpful info

Welcome to RU.

Dependent on the age of the rabbit you have will depend on what it is eating. Most young rabbits will nibble on grass, hay and pellets. If their mother was fed pellets throughout the time they were feeding the babies it is ok to continue to feed small amounts to them, if you are unsure leave fresh food until they are at least 4 months old and then introduce very slowly. Pellets are a more superior dry food to a mix which prevents rabbits selectively feeding. If you are unsure on what your rabbits was fed on prior to them coming to you,I would suggest you remove all pellets and the feed just hay, then slowly over about 7 days introduce pellets. This prevents problems with gut statis due to the sudden change of diet.

There are lots of good information on the RWF site which you can print off and read http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/information.htm

We got our bunny at 8 weeks from the pet shop. he was very very thin and didn't eat for about three days. We think it was the stress of the move. Now he won't stop, and the weight is going on - slowly, as he is very active.

Keep a close eye on him, but he will probably be fine once he settles.

Back