• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long does it take rabbits to get used...

kefkamasta

New Kit
...to people? It's been a month now and although the rabbit allows herself to be picked up she still runs away from me everytime I let her around free/out of the cage. Just wondering how long it usually takes for a rabbit to actually come up to you and not be afraid of you all the time.

And whats the best way to gain their trust? Pick them up all the time or just feed them and leave them alone, etc?

It's best to feed them by hand. They then come to you looking for food. I have started training my rabbits to be comfortable with stroking. I stroke them a couple of times, and then a treat(which is a pellet from their dinner). By the end of the session, which was only about 5 minutes at the most, I could stroke them 5 times, stroke their ears and their forehead. It worked well, and afterwards, they came and sit next to me. A month isn't that long, I've had my girls two months, and I've got to this stage now. Try training, they are very intelliegent creatures, they learn real quick.

it took Alvin a minimum of 2 months before he started to trust.... still not 100% but he does react to our voices, let us stroke him and follows us about in the hope of veg....lol he actually jumps on my lap for veg now (hes been here 4 months)

every now and then he runs from me but i think thats when he dont hear the approach and it startles him... i tend to talk to him as i enter the room now so he knows its me and not a monster about to eat him...

Back