• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help me please

Rascal

New Kit
My baby is 4-5 weeks old, and i got told he should be eatting pallets so i got him some, he not eatting them at all, he nipples on apple and carrot and wont drink anything that i have seen, what should i do, anything i can give him.

A 4-5 week old rabbit should still be with his mum. Their stomachs are extremely sensitive at this age, you should only feed the foods he has been eating at wherever you got him from, any change in diet (e.g. changing the brand of food) can cause fatal gut problems.

Feed him mainly hay plus whatever he's used to eating.

Is he going to the toilet? If not, or if he's not eating lots, you need to get to a vet asap.

Tamsin

thanks, his mum died and the lady who had them was going to put them down so i took one baby, he is going to the toilet, the lady i got him off didnt no what he was eating or anything she didnt even know how old he is.

i might take him to my local and get them to check him as i dont get charged for this. he likes eatting the bird seed on the floor and anything he can find i have tried him with pet milk and he isnt interested in that he will put his paws in water and lick those. and as i said he nipples on carrot and apple

Sorry to hear about this poor little bunny. I am not sure what you feed a bunny so young but someone else will be along to advise you shortly on here.

I have seen my local vet and he has said he is fine, as long as he can get water and food he will be good, he is now eatting small amounts of pallets, apple and carrot, and drinking water.

Here is a photo of my wee little boy

Imcoming.jpg

He is at weaning age so mum would be introducing him to new foods at this stage. The most improtant bit is that everything is done slowly and in small quantities....especially gren food wich have the most potential to upset the tummy (and weaning is when they are most prone to enteritis).

If you can get him eating mainly hay that is the best diet for him and should be a habit he will continue through his life.

As far as regular food goes apple and carrot are both very high in sugar and can also upset the gut flora leading to an increase in the risk of bloat/stasis.

They should be fed as treats only and in VERY small amounts eg a slice of apple and an ich of carrot.

He should be eating things like brocolli, celery, kale, dark leaf lettuce, spring greens, herbs, cress, rocket, spinch as part of a regular diet.

Eacxh of these would need to be offered to him in small amounts aovr a period of days to allow his stomach to adjust to them.

Back