• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet Chin

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
Hi All,

I have just been to put my buns to bed for the night and feed them and I noticed William, my single male bunny has a damp chin and his nose in the middle is slightly wet.

There was a tiny bit of spring greens left from this morning but hes just tucked into his pellets so is eating fine. I know dampness of the chin can indicate teeth problems but he was checked about 6 weeks ago when he had his Myxi jab and everything was fine.

Could this be anything other than teeth? I'll take him to the vets in the morning I think to be on the safe side.

Thanks in advance,

Gemma

Does he have a water bowl? Bobby always has a wet chin when he's finished drinking out of that!
It could also be the onset of snuffles - does he have wet paws as well as they often the wipe their face with their paws?

Hi there,

No, he has a bottle and its not something I've noticed before and I give them all a good check over every day.

His paws don't seem sticky or damp and I haven't noticed him overly wiping his face.

Its a bit of a mystery, I think I'll dry him off and see how he is in the morning. Our vet has an open surgery on Saturday mornings so I'll get hom checked just in case its something that might be passed to Benny and Betty.

Gemma

was he stressed over something? bif has a soaking wet chin..bib...every vet trip..shes easily stressed. but yes sadly it can be teeth and sometimes 6 weeks is long enough.
i hope buns ok.

Hi there,

I popped William to the vets this morning. He'd left the stalk bits of his greens overnight and although he seemed interested in his breakfast his head was tilted as he was trying to eat his pellets. They checked him over and there was some blood in his mouth so they whipped him in and gave him a dental today. I picked him up at 5.30 and he'd eaten the food I took in for him this morning. I've just settled him back in and so far he has just nibbled some greens but he seems fine in himself now. Ill keep an eye on him this evening, hes got loads of straw to keep him warm and I'll chop up some more veggies for him in a bit.

Anyway, I insured him on the vets insurance plan about 6 weeks ago and the dental which was estimated at £60 only cost my £25 which is the excess. I can't believe dentals are covered - its fab! :D

Gemma

:wave: well im glad the problem has been found and solved!!

poor william though was it his tongue he bit ..bif had her tongue underneath ulcerated within a week of the vet telling me she was fine:shock: since changed vets:lol:

eating greens is good..

OOOh you jammie wotnot...how on earth did you get pet insurance to cover rabbit dentals!!:shock: come on..tell us who youre with...gets phone at the ready..

They couldn't tell where the blood was from when they stuck the scope in during the consultation as there was too much saliva in his mouth. They didn't tell me when I picked him up, just gave the standard pre-op advice.

Its the vets own insurance, and they cover absolutely everything apart from pre-existing conditions. The excess is £25 but its almost paid for itself already! They have 4 branches but only in this area...sorry!

William is fine this morning, you wouldn't think he'd even had an op yesterday. Good job I caught it early as he hadn't stopped eating so I didn't have any of the usual problems of getting guts working again.

Gemma

Back